1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connect 2 routers together?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nick8539, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rolandk10

rolandk10

although the primary router is compatible with b thechnology, you may want to think about getting a g routher for the access point.

2. rolandk10

rolandk10

And DUH! I don't know why I didn't think of this before, try setting the wireless CARD to mixed mode.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most, if not all, 'g' adapters can see and connect to 'b' networks. And these laptops until recently were connecting to router 2's wireless, right?

Make sure the wireless is enabled. Does router 2 have a WLAN LED to indicate the wireless is on.

4. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

I dont think thats the issue because its the same card i use to use to log in to this router. It worked before fine. I am also trying to connect with a NDS lite and through wifi and cant see it either. I can see Nick1 though.

5. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

Yes these laptops were connecting to router 2 before with no problems. also, the lights lid up in router 2 are Power, WLAN Link, and then from port 1 100, Full/Col, and Link/Act. thats it

6. rolandk10

rolandk10

You're right terry. I was kinda thinking out loud I suppose.

Just to verify, the ssid broadcast is set to enable right?

7. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

yes on both routers.

8. rolandk10

rolandk10

This is copied from your manual:

Channel: Select the appropriate channel for your network from the list provided.
    All wireless points in your network must use the same channel in
    order to function properly.

9. rolandk10

rolandk10

This too which I find a little surprising:

SSID: The SSID is a unique name for your wireless network. It is case sensitive
    and must not exceed 32 characters. The default SSID is "linksys " but
    you should change this to a personal wireless network name. All wireless
    points in your network must use the same SSID.

10. rolandk10

rolandk10

Thinking about this, I think they are refering to all wireless points that are trying to connect to the acces point. It doesn't make sense that all access points would be the same name. so dis reguard that part

11. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

Nope...tried setting it to the same channel and still didnt work.

Oh ok...disregarded, changed it back

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "All wireless points in your network must use the same channel in
    order to function properly."

I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply here. In fact, with same channel they'd be interfering with each other, especially with one 'g' and one 'b.'

Even if the manual is correct, the laptops should be at least detecting the signal.

I know I've been bouncing back and forth between blaming the cable and the router, but now that you've crushed my cable theory, I gotta admit I think you got a new router just in time.

Maybe time to take a step back. Reset router 2 to factory default settings. Then w/o touching a thing, or physically connecting anything but the power cord, you should be able to detect its default SSID on its default channel, right? If not, take the router and a hammer outside and vent your frustrations!

If you detect its default signal, then disable the Dhcp server, set the LAN IP address, and connect the two routers again. If still good, then configure the wireless as desired.

13. rolandk10

rolandk10

this may be useful though. After configuring the wireless on the second router:

6. If you haven’t already done so, click the Apply button to save the settings.
    7. Reset the power on your cable or DSL modem and restart your computers.
    They will now obtain the Router's new settings.

14. rolandk10

rolandk10

I know what you mean terry, at this point I am just reading the manual see if there is anything simple that may have been missed. I hate letting technology beat me! I must win! LOL

15. rolandk10

rolandk10

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice