1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connect Two Computers To One Broadband Supply

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alanjamesa, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alanjamesa

Alanjamesa Thread Starter

I DO NOT wish to create a network with these two computers but this forum seemed to be the nearest topic for my question.

The internet connection is broadband supplied via a BT telephone line which has several telephone jack points. Several of these jack points are in different, unconnected buildings, separated by more than 100 yards.

One computer is connected directly (via a broadband filter) to one of these jack points for it's internet connection.

Is it possible to connect a second computer, in a different building, to this broadband connection?

1) If so, would both computers need to be connected to the internet via their own individual routers (distance between computers is greater than 100 yards)? Or is it possible to simply connect each computer to individaul phone jacks via filters?

2) Could you explain the best way of connecting these 2 computers to the one internet broadband supply whilst keeping the 2 computer completely separate from each other (ie not on the same network).

2. jackdw

jackdw

Connecting them to the same phone line is like four people talking in pairs over the phone. Not possible.

The only way to accomplish this would be to use a router. For both computers to communicate with each other, they will need to be on the same subnet as the router, therefore being on the same subnet as each other an able to communicate.

There might be another way to get around this that I'm sure JohnWill knows about.

3. jmwills

jmwills

A router is the only way.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You'll need a router, and if you're in a different building with distance between you, I'd suggest an optical to Ethernet link. I don't recommend running copper between buildings, too many things can go wrong. :)

5. Alanjamesa

Alanjamesa Thread Starter

Thank you for your help with this. I now realise that both computers would need to be connected to the same modem and the long distance between modem and computers may create problems.

Completely happy with your response. Thank you.

This is now closed from my point of view.

Once more, thanks very much.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice