1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connect wireless router and wired router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sleepwalker359, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sleepwalker359

Sleepwalker359 Thread Starter

First I would like to say hello to everyone in the community as this is my first post. I would like to set up Linksys wireless router(wrt160n) with a Dlink wired router(DLR-604),The wireless would be the host router and I would like to isolate the wired router from that network,to protect my main computer's(2computer's plus network printer) from from my children s and friend's machines I connect to the wireless or wired ports on the Linksys.Thanks in advance, any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated .Cheers

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This should be pretty easy. Just connect the D-Link router's WAN port to one of the Linksys router's LAN ports. The computers connected to the D-Link router will be isolated from the Linksys connected computers by the D-Link router's NAT firewall.

3. Sleepwalker359

Sleepwalker359 Thread Starter

Thanks, JohnWill for your quick response to my problem,I thought it should be that easy but when I tried to do that it didn't work,so I disconnected the power supply from my Dlink and reconnected it and I got internet access but I could no longer see my Dlink in my network setting, now I could only see the Linksys and couldn't open the dlink in my browser,and after reading many differant posts and FAQ's from multiple router mfg's and forums I thought it was going to be difficult if at all possible.But after reading your post you empowered me to continue on.After a little thought I realized I had the Dlink router still configured as though it was the host router as my ISP provider requires PPPoE to be used, so I set my wan on the Dlink to Dynamic IP Address and reconnected It to the Lan side of the Linksys and waited a few minutes. Low and behold it worked,everything works as I hoped it would thanks again for taking the time to post a reply,this thread can now be considered Solved, Cheers Sleepwalker

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad it worked out for you. I should have mentioned doing a factory reset of the secondary router, which is what I normally recommend for changes like this. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/912641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice