1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connected to "Network 7" a local network - but not to the internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Deshka, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

This just happened out of nowhere yesterday morning. My roommate was using her laptop with no issues until suddenly the connection cut out. She tried reconnecting, but had no luck so she waited, still no signal. She was able to see our network name but it would not allow her to connect to it. Same thing when I tried my laptop. I could see it scanning wi-fi and showed available connections including our own, but it wouldn't let me connect.

The desktop in our home office has internet. The modem is showing all the proper lights flashing, indicating there is ethernet, DSL and internet.

When we open our laptops and get a signal even for a brief moment, it kills the connection on the desktop and all lights on the modem go off, except the power light which starts flashing slowly. :confused: Totally loses connection. As soon as we close the laptop, the connection comes back on the desktop.

I noticed that the icon in the tray that indicates connectivity (the two computer monitors flashing blue back and forth) looks different than normal. There is no little globe in front of them, there are just two monitors and there is usually a globe showing internet access. So I clicked it and it says we're connected to "Network 7" Access: local. So I took a screen shot of this.

What is going on, can someone help me out? I have no idea what to do but we need internet on the laptops. :( If you need any more information from me, feel free to ask! Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have separate modem and router or a combination unit?

When you connect either laptop to the router the desktop loses its connection to the router? Or remains connected but loses internet access? Does this happen when the laptop is connected by ethernet, by Wi-Fi, or both ways?

3. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

You'll have to excuse me, I'm not very tech savvy. :) We have a wireless modem plugged into the desktop by an ethernet cable and the laptops connect wirelessly through that.

The computer loses connection to the internet whenever we open the laptops. I just brought hers in here to see what exactly happens, and again, as soon as it was opened, the connection was killed on the desktop. The modem's power light is flashing and the wireless light is now on solid, all others are off. And the laptop does not have a connection.

Just now I closed the laptop and there is a connection back on the desktop and the wireless light is now off, while all the others (power, ethernet, DSL,internet) are back on as normal.

I do not understand why the desktop says it's connected to Network 7, which is listed as private. And not to the internet.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your "wireless modem" is actually two devices--a modem and a wireless router. The router routes traffic between two networks--in this case between the internet (over your DSL connection) and your LAN (all devices connected to it by ethernet or wireless). Your desktop (and the laptops when working) are on your (private) LAN, not on the internet. They get internet access through the router.

My guess at this point is that the modem/router is defective, because it is unlikely that both laptops would have contacted the same problem at the same time, but if it were me I would do more testing before replacing it.

The first test I would do is to switch off the wireless on a laptop and connect it by ethernet to see if that works OK.

5. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

I will give that a try in a bit and come back to this. Thanks. :) Someone suggested resetting the router to the factory settings. Would that harm it? (assuming it already isn't toast lol)

6. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

When I ran a diagnostic test, this was the result: DSL synchronization: No DSL signal was found. G. DMT ATM signa No DSL signal was found. As the test was being run, the DSL light flashed. But after the test was over, the DSL light is on solid. I'll go try what was suggested with the ethernet cable.

7. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

I just plugged the ethernet directly into the laptop and there is no connection whatsoever on the laptop. So I ran a diagnostic test and chose my own wireless connection to connect to and waited, it connected briefly and then said "Limited access" and then nothing, no connection at all. More tests indicated a problem with the adapter. Why does it work with the PC but not laptop? And would resetting the wireless modem/router to factory settings solve anything? I just want to try everything before calling tech support out. And sorry if my questions are dumb.

8. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

Oh and I want to add I disabled wireless on the laptop used to test and plugged directly from modem to laptop using ethernet and it then said I was connected to my system, with no internet access. So the desktop has access to online through the network, and that's all.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your post # 8 makes it sound like there is a problem with the laptop rather than the modem/router. By the way, you haven't actually confirmed that you do have a modem/router combo rather than separate units. What is its brand and model?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Resetting the router--or modem/router--to factory default settings harms nothing and is a good thing to do when a router problem is suspected. Of course, you need to know how to reconfigure it then.

11. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

Sorry, yes it is one unit. I hope I'm answering right here, it's a 2Wire Gateway model RG2701HG-00. So today we're getting this when I open network and sharing:

[​IMG]

and this has been all afternoon. Except when wireless is activated/laptops opened, then it cuts out totally.

I want to add that both laptops are pretty much new, mine was bought in June 2012 and my roommate's December 2011 and there's never been problems like this, although I do realize problems have to start somewhere, we were both using our laptops the night before and day it started happening with no problems. I can't see how both laptops can suddenly be affected by the same problem?

It seems like something to do with wireless not being able to connect but then that doesn't explain why when I disabled wireless and plugged the ethernet straight from the modem/router, it wouldn't work but it did on the desktop. This is so puzzling.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, I think we are agreeing on the confusing aspect of this. Namely, while the problem seems to be the router's wireless on one hand, on the other hand it seems to be both laptops.

Please show an ipconfig /all for

a. The desktop happily getting internet access, laptops off;

b. A laptop, with the wireless switched off, also connected by ethernet;

c. The desktop at the same time as (b). By the way, I've lost track, does the desktop have internet access at this time?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

13. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

Yes it does. Prior to today it just had access to LAN and now it has access to both that and internet according to the map. Yet as soon as I open a laptop and wireless fires up, it loses all connectivity.

I will do what you suggested now and get back momentarily. Thanks for your help.

14. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

I hope this helps. It's the best I can do with what I'm working with.

[​IMG]

I now get internet on the laptop connected via ethernet, wireless disabled.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jessica>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Jessica-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-94-67-03-1E-FF
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-94-67-03-1E-FF

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-94-67-03-1E-FE

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5C-F9-DD-3E-A1-99
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::91ca:2a2f:ee52:c9d9%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.13(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : October-23-12 7:54:40 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : October-26-12 7:54:39 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 240974301
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-52-96-6D-5C-F9-DD-3E-A1-99

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.gateway.2wire.net:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface {16101884-EECC-43A3-80FF-58FD12AF0F3F}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:953c:3c28:658:b9e7:7044(Prefe
    rred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3c28:658:b9e7:7044%16(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Jessica>

[​IMG]

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Whew!

Connect laptop by wireless and neither it nor the ethernet connected desktop have a connection.

Connect laptop by ethernet and it gets a good connection but the desktop is kicked off.

This has to be--at least I think it has to be--a router problem. If the RG2701HG-00 is owned by the ISP I'd tell them that you need a fix or a replacement. If you own it make sure you know how its configured (especially probably PPPoE and account/password in the WAN section) and reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it. Sometimes that will jolt a goofy router into behaving again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1073683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice