1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connected yet Internet will not work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Frostmonkey, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frostmonkey

Frostmonkey Thread Starter

For the past few weeks I have had a series of random internet troubles all with the same symptoms. These symptoms have persisted through a reformat and also a new NIC card. Here are the specifics:

I boot up into my account on windows xp, having the ethernet cable plugged into my Linksys network card the whole time (It's in a PCI slot if that will help.) It shows full connectivity and my internet IP address, subnet, DNS, etc. when I do ipconfig. It does not give me an ip address of 192.168.1.1xx but an actual IP address from the dreaded road runner ISP. Note, the router/cable is not the issue as I have been able to plug in my mother's laptop right to the cable and it worked without a hitch. Though all information appears perfect in the ipconfig menu, the computer still will not load any websites in IE/Firefox, ping any ips/websites, or allow me to access the internet in any form.

I do not always have this issue. Most of the time my internet/network works fine without an issue, this seems to be sparatic.

Another thing that happens sometimes during this issue is I will perform the "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" commands to attempt to clear any issue with the current IP (even though it may appear as it should) then it may re-assign me to a 192.168.1.1xx address. Now when I am on one of the 192.168.1.1xx addresses I can access my router page/setup at 192.168.1.1 but when I'm on of the other working internet IPs that my computer gets assigned I cannot.

I have tried booting up with all firewalls off, i uninstalled zone alarm, i booted in safe mode. It still will not function, though showing valid ipconfig information.

Note, this is not even a week old XP SP2 format, updated fully through the windows updates and protected by an up to date NOD32 antivirus. I was also running an up to date copy of Zone Alarm Pro until I began having this problem again today.

I hope the information I've provided will be enough to help diagnose why I cannot reach the internet on my PC even though ipconfig shows nothing wrong.

If you need more information to help me figure out how to remedy this problem PLEASE ask, I really would like to get this solved ASAP!

Thank you! - Nate B.

** Also, I'm not sure if I've stated it this way above but the ipconfig information when the internet will NOT work is usually EXACTLY the same as when the internet WILL work.

SYSTEM SPECS
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    Hard Drive: Samsung
    Video: BFG GeForce 7900 (AGP 8x)
    RAM: 1 gig PC3200 Corsair
    Sound: Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum
    Network Card: Linksys LNETX100 v 5.1
    PSU: 500w

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    First please make absolutely sure that the modem is connected to the router's WAN (internet, modem) port and not a LAN port. If it is not, unplug both units, make the correct connection, plug in modem first and then router.

3. Frostmonkey

The configuration of our network is a bit odd, I was not the one who got to set it up. We have a standard surfboard cable modem attatched into the lan port of a BEFSR41 router (I'm not sure why) and then a cable from that BEFSR41 router connected from a LAN port to another BEFSR41(this one being older/looking slightly different) through a LAN port. My PC is connected to LAN port in that second BEFSR41 router.

I will have to wait until later tonight to try any different configurations. I tried my cable again with my mother's laptop running Vista and it worked seemelessly, yet mine still has the same issue. Also, the iMac I'm on right now is connected to that second BEFSR41 - working fine as you can see.

Router can be found here: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=4094131284B01

Why would this setup be causing my problem?

Thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Why would this setup be causing my problem?"

Unless your standard surfboard cable modem is actually a modem/router combo you do not have a router (Network Address Translation) in your network. Thus, you do not have a LAN separate from the WAN (the internet). Your cable ISP has their Dhcp server on the network and one or both of the BEFSR41 boxes has a Dhcp server running.

When you connect a computer it broadcasts a request for an IP configuration. When the ISP's Dhcp server wins the race, you get internet access just as if you were connected directly to the modem. When one of the BEFSR41 wins the race you get connected to it and can access it and any other computers that also got its IP configuration from that BEFSR41. Unless your ISP provides multiple IP addresses you get internet access from only one computer at a time.

All of the above is predicated on your statements that you have a standard modem and have no WAN port of a router connected.

5. Frostmonkey

Thank you very much Terry! I just configured the routers as you said, I now have working internet!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's good. Please mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

With two routers, and maybe two Dhcp servers, you may run into a few problems in the future. If so, just start another thread and somebody will help you figure it out.

7. Frostmonkey

Will do! I'm glad I found this forum, certainly will return with any problems/to help others :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice