Solved: Connecting a server to the net with residential DSL

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

motoprego

Hello,
I am thinking of doing a rather ambitious project (at least to me since I don't have a technical background). Anyways, I would like to build a box from scratch to host my personal website, which will be used to share photos and stream videos to family and friends. I have been thinking about doing this for a while and now that I have more time on my hands I think it will be a great learning experience. But before I sit down to draft a plan I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to connect a box to the internet with a residential (dynamic IP) DSL plan from Verizon or SBCYahoo?

2. If it is possible, how do I do this?

3. Is this legal or do I need to upgrade to a Static IP service plan?

Thanks in advance!

1. Is it possible to connect a box to the internet with a residential (dynamic IP) DSL plan from Verizon or SBCYahoo?
Yes any PC with any ISP CAN be setup as a web server.

2. If it is possible, how do I do this?
What you need is an ISP, you need a DNS service (this resolves a DNS I.E. Stumpedtechy.com to my IP ion my PC), and you need an application running on your PC that updates the DNS service with the new IP, lastly you have to setup your router with port forwarding to the PC thats hosting the webpage (that has the DNS app on it as well).

3. Is this legal or do I need to upgrade to a Static IP service plan?
Even static may not be "legal" depending upon ISP. Some ISP's even block port 80 incoming to ensure you don't run a web server. Though of course in that case you can still run it on a non standard port. The main thing is to direct questions like this to the ISP and ask if they have any use guidelines that you have to follow.

Note the difference in static vrs dynamic is only that with static your IP never changes there is no other difference at all changing to static doesn't all of a sudden allow you to do things that dynamic didn't let you. (Unless of course the ISP has a clause saying that dynamic you can't run a web server and if you pay for static you are given that ability, of course I have never seen that stated before in the few ISPs I have used).

motoprego

StumpedTechy said:
What you need is an ISP, you need a DNS service (this resolves a DNS I.E. Stumpedtechy.com to my IP ion my PC), and you need an application running on your PC that updates the DNS service with the new IP, lastly you have to setup your router with port forwarding to the PC thats hosting the webpage (that has the DNS app on it as well)
Awesome! I am getting excited about this project. Thanks for the info Stumped! (y)
With regards to the DNS service, are there any good source on the net where I can read more about it? Also, where can I download the app for my PC to updates the DNS service?
Thanks in advance!!

I use http://www.dyndns.com/ and I actually get free domain registration by using dnsalias.com as the suffix my you can pick anything.dnsalias.com and get the service free. You can pay for a DNS and have them host it I believe http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/ but that will probably cost a few bucks.

They have a client at no cost - http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

but I use another client all together just look up Dynamic DNS update client on the web and you will find a ton.

There are a ton of these different companies out there the main thing is uptime because if this company has an outage than your not going to get redirected to your IP.

I think I have only had 1 time the dns failed me in over 3 years with the company I have used but I also only use it about 3/4 times a day I do not run high traffic on my home servers.

motoprego

Thanks again Stumped!! I really appreciate the info. I will take a look at the links.
Cheers! (y) (y) (y)

I use No-Ip.com and they have been reliable for all the time I have been with them. $24.95/year

motoprego

Thanks jmwills and JohnWill for the additional info! I appreciate every bit of help on this. Cheers (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online