1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connecting an old XP computer to a WPA2 Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KateUpton, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KateUpton

KateUpton Thread Starter

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to connect an old HP desktop I have (running windows XP) to my home network, which uses WPA2 encryption. I'm pretty much a network noob so I have no idea what's going wrong. Right now it's stuck on "validating identity" when I try to connect to the network.

So far in my quest to solve this problem, I have:
    1. Downloaded Service Pack 3.
    2. Tried disabiling Authentication for the network.

From reading around forums I've learned that apparently after downloading Service Pack 3, I should be able to choose 'WPA2' as an option for "Network Authentication" on my Network's properties page. It still isn't showing up for me though.

Since my desktop can't connect to the internet, I couldn't download Service Pack 3 directly so I downloaded it on another computer, put it on a flash drive, and then uploaded it to the desktop. I'm not sure if this could be the problem or not, but if it makes a difference, I can verify on my Computer's properties page that I am running Service Pack 3.

My network adapter is a "Hawking Technologies HWP54G Wireless-G PCI Card". Is it possible that this card does not support WPA2? How do I tell? If it doesn't support WPA2, am I **** out of luck for trying to connect to my network without upgrading the card itself?

Does anyone have any advice? Why doesn't "WPA-2" show up as an option for my Network Authentication type?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Your adapter only supports WEP Encription according to Hawking Technology website. So WPA-2 wouldn't show up. Your options are to change the Encryption on the wireless router to WEP (Not advised) or replace the Wireless adapter with one that supports WPA-2.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did you change the security in the router - to None
    did it connect -if not its not a WPA2 issue - if the adapter cannot connect to an open network

have you tried updating the driver - or re-installing from the manufacturers website, doing the same as you did with SP3

service pack 3 sounds like its worked ok

4. KateUpton

KateUpton Thread Starter

I was afraid it was going to be the adapter. I suppose I'll try to locate and update the drivers, and if that doesn't work i'll just buy another one! Thanks for the responses.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With the latest driver it may support WPA-PSK, and maybe WPA/WPA2 mixed, but don't expect WPA2 support.

6. KateUpton

KateUpton Thread Starter

If it does end up supporting WPA/WPA2, would it be okay to change my network settings to WPA/WPA2 mixed? Also, does anyone know where/how to find the updated drivers? I've tried searching for them, but I couldn't find anything that looked like it was actually from Hawking.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes. There have been no reports of WPA-PSK (with a strong passphrase) being cracked, so in practice it is just as secure as WPA2.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice