1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connecting Modem/Router to another router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by elim, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elim

elim Thread Starter

Hi

i want to link my modem/router, to my other belkin router.

basically i want to use my modem/router as the modem, and use my belkin router as the main internet connection source

can anyone help do this or direct me?

my modem/router is the netgear dg834gt, and my belkin router is the F5D7231-4P

2. vistashen

vistashen Banned

Contact your ISP they will help configure your router. Or contact Belkin

3. elim

elim Thread Starter

well seeing as this is the techguy i was hoping for some assitance from here

just the basics i need to know such as which router to switch dhcp on etc..

4. vistashen

vistashen Banned

There are lot of parameter which involve information from the ISP which we don't have that info.

5. vistashen

vistashen Banned

I wish I could help you but as far as configuring a new router for even myself I have to contact my ISP since its there security information that has to be enter. If that is not the case anyone who has a router would have access to the internet.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

7. elim

elim Thread Starter

at above, thats if i wanted to use my router as an access point which i already have

i want to configure it so when i plug the cable into the internet port on the router it will work. currently its connected via the switches.

8. elim

elim Thread Starter

example of what im looking for

[​IMG]

9. JohnWill

Well, if you want the modem/router to be a modem-only, you'll have to find out how to configure it in bridge mode, then use the router in a standard mode. Otherwise, you'll have two NAT layers, which will make port forwarding very difficult.

One other option is to daisy-chain them and configure the DMZ on the modem/router for the second router. That will essentially make the primary router transparent and eliminate the issue of dual NAT layers.

10. elim

elim Thread Starter

ive flashed my netgear d834gt with the the firmware which has a modem only mode, however when i connect it too the belkin through wan port i get on internet

in the belkin i cant choose PPPOA which is what my isp uses,

i can only choose static, dynamic, PPPOE,

can you suggest what i need to confiure on my router? ive input username and pass in PPPOE on my router bu no connection

11. JohnWill

I'm stunned that the Belkin doesn't offer PPPoA capability! I checked their site, and you're correct, they simply don't support it.

You can still configure a static address on the D-Link and put it into the DMZ. Then, in the WAN section of the Belkin, configure the same static IP address with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. This will essentially do the same thing as bridge mode, and it's how I was using my Verizon FiOS modem when it was having issues.

12. elim

elim Thread Starter

what d link?

mines a netgear d834gt, and ive put it into modem only mode (as it was orginally a router and modem), i have flashed it with the dgteam firmware

however i cant get back onto it again without resetting the rotuer back to default.

so when im back on it what shold i change on my modem? i cant configure much on it

13. elim

elim Thread Starter

on the belkin i have three options

dynamic, static ip, and PPPOE

static brings up a page with

Ip address
    subnet mask
    isp gateway

14. JohnWill

The IP address will be the one that you use for the DMZ specification on the Netgear router.

The ISP Gateway is the base address of the Netgear router, and you should have an option to enter the DNS Server address, which is the same as the ISP Gateway address in this configuration.

15. elim

elim Thread Starter

ok so my netgear ip is 192.168.0.1

ive resetted belkin so what should i set my ip for my belkin and what should the dchp range be?

also then would i dmz an ip from the netgear to the belkin? im not sure i can do that as theres no dmz option when in modem mode but ill look agen

also would i choose static ip from the list on the belkin? then put the ip of the dmz and subnet mask and the gateway which is 192.168.0.1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice