1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connecting Modem/Router to another router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by elim, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The base IP address for the Belkin can be anything but 192.168.0.x, I think their default is 192.168.2.1, which is just fine.

After the reset, all you have to do is configure the WAN connection as we discussed, and make any wireless adjustments you need.

Remember, it won't work until the Netgear is configured for the matching IP address in the DMZ! And, make sure that IP address you use is outside the range of the Netgear DHCP server unless nothing else will ever connect to the Netgear.

2. elim

elim Thread Starter

how would i set the netgear up because i dont think theres an option for that in modem only mode.

also the netgear doesnt have any dhcp?? only the belkin does.

3. elim

elim Thread Starter

right heres some print screens, maybe these could help you explain to me what i need to do.

netgear router (in modem only mode)
    [​IMG]

belkin router (static ip page) (lan ip is set to 192.168.2.1)
    [​IMG]

4. JohnWill

Since the Netgear has a 192.168.0.1 IP address, it's clearly performing the routing function through a NAT layer. That being the case, on one of those menus, there should be an option to configure the DMZ.

Obviously, Netgear thinks it has DMZ capability.

What is the firmware you used that gives "modem only mode"?

5. elim

elim Thread Starter

nope theres no option for dmz when its in modem only mode

if i put it too modem and router mode, then dmz will appear

6. JohnWill

Then, I'd put it in modem/router mode and enable the DMZ.

7. elim

elim Thread Starter

ok done that. so what now

it wont let me dmz to 192.168.2.1?

only in the range 192.168.0.xx

8. JohnWill

You configure your DMZ to be something like 192.168.2.250 (or anything between x.x.x.2 and x.x.x.254 outside the DHCP server address).

On the secondary router, you manually configure the WAN IP address to match this address, and the ISP Gateway to 192.168.2.1

9. elim

elim Thread Starter

dm connect to internet

10. elim

elim Thread Starter

right how do i set static ips for the secondary router because its not working

when i refresh the dchp it goes to the primary router, only if its set too automatic it will appear on the belkin

also have i set up what you said correctly? from the netgear (192.168.0.1) i have dmzed to 192.168.0.2?

11. JohnWill

Well, you have the Internet settings set ty dynamic, which isn't what you want. In your previous post, you had the correct screen to configure the static WAN address, that's where you put the values I described previously.

I'm assuming you have done the configuration on the primary router? You did use and address between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254 as the DMZ address, right? The same address will be in the static configuration of the Belkin, exactly as I previously stated.

12. elim

elim Thread Starter

dmz address was 192.168.0.2

so is this now correct?

netgear dmz
    [​IMG]

static ip for belkin
    [​IMG]

main belkin page
    [​IMG]

im currently reciving internet wirelessly connected to the belkin, how can i set static ips with my computer and games console so it assigns to 192.168.2.xx

also i think i have double nat ;[

13. JohnWill

With the DMZ, you should not have issues with double NAT translation, the whole point of this configuration was to make the primary router transparent to you. I ran with this exact same configuration for months, and my port forwards on the secondary router worked just fine, I had no other adjustments on the primary router.

You can now port forward on the Belkin using the standard technique, forget all about what is set in the WAN settings, you don't need to do anything about that.

14. elim

elim Thread Starter

so the screenies above are correct?

im having issues assigning static ips to the belkin, when i assign it, it doesnt appear in the dhcp client list on the router? which means i cant port forward to it.

it connects ok but doesnt appear on the client list, only if i chhange it too "assign automatically) it will appear on the list

15. JohnWill

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice