Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Connecting my PC to my LCD TV

5K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  Wallenberg 
#1 ·
I have a fairly new PC running Windows 7 and I have just recently taken to downloading TV programs (in the form of .AVI files) and watching them on my PC monitor. It is a fairly modern monitor but I'd love to be able to watch these TV programs on my TV. It is a 40" LCD Sony TV. It's very modern and has all kinds of inputs available.

Does anyone know how to connect an output from my PC to my TV so I can watch these programs on my TV?

Specifically, I'm wondering whether the output from the PC would be from the PC monitor or the PC itself?

Also, would anyone know what kind of cable would be required? I'd like to know what to ask for when I go to buy the cable. I'm guessing I would go to Radio Shack (or The Source as it is now called).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

#2 ·
If your TV has an RGB input on the back, then yes, you can connect your PC to it and use it like a big monitor. (The input is basically the same thing as your PC tower's input).

Alternatively, most modern TVs have USB ports, so you can put your video files on a USB stick and just plug that into your TV. But whether your TV can play such files is another issue. Check your TV's manual to see which file formats it can play. It should be able to play AVI, MPG and MP4 at the very least.

#4 ·
I tried to send the following Private Message to vic2pc. Unfortunately, I got a message saying that vic2pc cannot receive PMs for some reason - probably because he has declined to receive PMs.

That is very understandable. Many people have many good reasons for not wanting to receive any more PMs or emails as they are swamped by all the emails and PMs they currently received.

But, after thinking things over, I decided there is nothing really private about the following message that I tried to send to vic2pc and there would be nothing wrong with my posting this message here in this forum:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: vic2pc

G'day Mate,

My name is XXX and I live in Toronto, Canada.

You recently posted some great advice in my thread about how to connect my PC to my TV so I could watch my .AVI files on my Sony 40" LCD TV.

I'm sending you this PM because I found it unusual that someone with only 17 posts (and therefore a very new member to this forum) would be able to post such excellent information. It was extremely helpful to me and I thank you very, very much.

Of course, the number of posts someone has made really has very little to do with how knowledgeable they are or how helpful their posts are likely to be. But I was very impressed with the way you organized your post and the excellent advice and info you provided.

So, hats off to you. Welcome to this forum and "Good on you!"

#5 ·
Thanks very much for your kind words, Wallenberg! :)

And you're right: I prefer not to receive PMs because it ends up being like another email inbox to deal with; or people try to get personalised help and assume I have all the time in the world to assist them. Keeping it public avoids both scenarios. :)

As you've noticed, I am a "newbie" here but have a long background in computers in general (see my profile). I can't even remember how I found these forums now but I'm happy to help people when I can.

#6 ·
I'm sorry but I have tried a few different ways to connect my PC to my TV but unfortunately, I have been unable to find any way to accomplish my goal - which is - to play the .AVI files containing TV shows on my PC and to display them on my TV.

I am now preparing a post that describes the connections at the rear of my TV (there are many more than you might expect) as well as the TV's various on-screen menu options displayed by the TV's remote control.

I will post this info ASAP and, in the meantime, I will change the status of this thread from "Solved" to "Unsolved" in the hope someone will be able to help me.

#7 ·
So, are you saying you can't unplug your PC's monitor cable and plug it into your TV anywhere? If not, and if there's no USB option, then there's 3 things left to try:

(1) Check your PC's video card for another output. It may have an S-VHS output, so you'd buy an S-VHS cable to connect your PC to the TV that way.

(2) Buy an RGB to RCA video cable, so you can unplug your PC's RGB monitor cable and use the converter cable instead, to go from your PC to TV that way (into the white/yellow/red RCA inputs).

(3) Use a free app called "DVD Flick" to quickly and effortlessly convert all your AVIs onto a DVD disc, then just play that DVD on your TV.

Hope this helps!

#8 ·
Forgot to mention: number (3) above has the added advantage of becoming a backup of your AVI files. Just make sure you enable the option in "DVD Flick" to NOT recompress (or re-encode) the video of the AVI files, or they may look worse. There's an option to just keep the existing video data somewhere in it.

#9 ·
There is a cable I would describe as a "VGA type" cable that connects from my PC to my monitor. This type of arrangement has been the standard for every PC I have ever owned.

I have tried to disconnect this cable from my PC's monitor and connect to the rear of my TV to what appears to be a VGA connection there. So, that means the signal that is output from my PC's video card which normally is input to my PC's monitor is now input to the rear of the TV.

I expected that would immediately enable me to watch my .AVI files on my TV but no such luck. When I do that, I get the following message: "Unsupported Signal. Check your device output.

The descriptions of the connections at the rear of my TV has turned out to be much more complex than I expected and I'm still preparing a document which I hope to have ready for posting later tonight. I will review your three suggestions at that time and also post a document that describes the connections available at the rear (as well as the top and left side) of my TV as well as the on-screen menus that my TVs remote control displays because at a minimum, I expect to have to use those displays to select which signal I want to use.

My best guess at this time is that there are multiple signals going into my TV that may be conflicting with each other. For example, the cables output from my PVR to my TV consists of 5 cables that are new to me. Three of them are Red, Green and Blue and the other two are Red and White. I suspect these carry the video and audio signals output from my PVR.

But I fear they are somehow conflicting wht the signal delivered by my VGA cable from my PC's display card to my PC's monitor and somehow one or both of those video signals are causing a kind of crash.

I will try to post a document further describing the TVs connections and on-screen display later tonight. Please be patient.

Thank you.

#10 ·
I'm sorry this post is so long. Unfortunately, there are a large number of connections at the rear and sides of my TV and also a large number of on-screen menu options displayed by my TV's remote control.

I felt a need to describe these for anyone who will try to help me connect my PC to my TV. With any luck, perhaps I can find Sony's User Guide online as well as a description of the on-screen menu options displayed by the TV's remote. I will try to find those later.

FYI, I should begin by stating I have a fairly modern PC running Windows 7 and a one-year old Sony LCD TV - model number KDL-32S3000. The PC has both VGA and DVI video output connections.

There are approximately five different sets of connections found at the rear of my TV as well as an additional set found on one side. I will try to describe each of these sets together with the types of connections and cables that make up each set. But I will begin by describing the individual connections and cables that are used by each of the five sets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SECTION ONE - DESCRIBING THE CONNECTIONS FOUND ON MY TV - AUDIO CONNECTIONS & AUDIO CABLES

The rear of my TV contains a large number of "connections". Most are inputs that contain video and/or audio signals and I chose to temporarily call these "audio connections" that use "audio cables" because those type of cables are almost always used to carry audio signals in stereo systems and I couldn't think of a better name for them to use temporarily until someone can tell me their correct names. I'm hoping that most people who read this post will easily recognize the type of connections and cables I am referring to when I say they are the ones that are commonly used when connecting components of stereo systems.

I will now attempt to describe these "audio connections" and "audio cables". The easiest way may be to say they are the kinds of connections and cables used in stereo systems. They are often color-coded.

One is usually red and the other usually white (or black) and the reason they are color-coded is to keep track that one color is used for the left channel in a stereo system while the other is used for the right channel. The ends of these cables are circular and contain a solid metal plug with diameter measuring approx 0.25cm surrounded by a thin metal "ring" measuring approx 1cm.

All of the stereo systems I've ever used contain one or more of the following devices: amplifier, tuner, receiver, turntable, tape deck, etc. These devices have always been connected to each other by two cables (one usually red and the other usually white in order to keep track of the two different channels in stereo systems - one for the left channel and the other for the right one. The ends of these cables have always been round and plug into connections that are also round. I don't know the proper names for these kinds of connections or cables. But I will call them "audio connections" and "audio cables" until someone informs me of their correct names.

UPDATE: I have been doing some research and believe these cables are actually called "RCA" cables.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SECTION ONE - DESCRIBING THE REAR OF MY TV - VGA CONNECTIONS

For many years, all the IBM PCs I have owned used a cable connecting the primary video output from the PCs display card to the PC's monitor. I will temporarily call this type of cable a "VGA cable" and I will also call the connections it uses "VGA connections". The ends of this cable are shaped somewhat rectangular. However one of the long sides is slightly longer than the other long side. Each end of these cables contain 14 tiny circular pins. My PC is an example of the more modern type of PCs. It contains two types of video connections. One is called "VGA" and the second is called "DVI". I'm told the DVI type of connection is more modern and provides a better quality image.

At any rate, the rear of my PC contains both a VGA style output video connection as well as a DVI style output video connection which means I can use either or both a VGA type cable or a DVI type cable to connect the PC's output video signal from its video adaptor (aka video card) to the PCs monitor.

Unfortunately, the TV does not contain any DVI type input. It only has a VGA type input. You may be interested to know that I have both VGA and DVI types of cables and often connect both from my PC to my monitor. I can use both types of cable at the same time. I also should confess that I understand pitifully little about these two styles of video connections and cables (VGA & DVI) and would surely appreciate if anyone could offer a general explanation as well as the reason people might use both types of cables at the same time. Alternatively, I'd love to learn that if I have the option to select one of these types of cables, should I automatically choose the DVI type because it is more modern?

SECTION ONE - DESCRIBING THE REAR OF MY TV - RGB CONNECTIONS

The rear of the TV contains two sets of input connections that each contain five "audio type connections". They are labelled "COMPONENT 1 IN" and "COMPONENT 2 IN". I have been using "Component 1 IN" as the primary input for my video and audio signals and they are currently output from my PVR (Personal Video Recorder) which receives its input from the cable provided by my cable company.

Before buying my current TV, I had never previously seen this type of connection labelled "RGB connetion" at the rear of the TV. This type of connection contains five color-coded "audio type cables".

The first three cables are labelled and color-coded as follows:

1) Red - PR
2) Green - Y
3) Blue - PB
4) Red - Audio (Right)
5) White - Audio (Left)

So, "COMPONENT 1 IN" contains my primary input signal while "Component 2 IN" remains unused and presumably it exists to allow me to attach a second input source to my TV at some future time. I can then use the TV's remote control to select which input device I choose to display on the TV (either "Component 1" or "Component 2".

I should also make it clear that it seems to me I can use both an RGB type input from my PVR as well as a VGA type input from my PC. At least it seems like I could connect both and then select which one I want to use from my TV's on-screen menu display. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to get this working.

I also need to say that I'm confused about one aspect of Vic2pc's first post in which he says, that "if my TV contained an RGB input at its rear, then I could use the TV like a big monitor for my PC. The reason I am confused is that the two input connections at the rear of my TV are clearly labelled RGB connections and they each consist of five "audio type of connection". As a result, I had never imagined that when Vic2pc mentioned an "RGB type input", he could possibly be referring to some other kind of input. But, that is apparently what he intended. It seems to me that he has referred to what I am calling a "VGA type cable" as an "RGB type of cable". If anyone would like to try and help clairfy this misconception, I would certainly be quite grateful. Specifically, I'd very much like to learn what the correct terms are for those connections I have been calling "audio connections" and "audio cables", "RGB connections" and "RGB cables" and "VGA connections" and "VGA cables"

So, at this point, I have described what seems to be the two most important input video groups found at the rear of my TV. The first contains two sets of connections labelled "Component 1 IN" and "Component 2 IN". Both of these contain five "audio type" connections and cables and and the first one is used to input the signal from my PVR into my TV. The second remains unused and is available to be used with some other type of input device at a future time.

The second most important video input group contains what I've been calling a "VGA type of connection" and I hope and expect to be able to disconnect the cable that normally carries the signal from my PC's video card to my PC monitor and, instead, connect it to what I have been calling the "VGA type" input connection at the back of my TV which is labelled "PC". At present when I try to connect that cable to the "VGA type connection" connection at the rear of my TV (the one labelled PC), I get the following message, "Unsupported Signal. Check your device Output.".

SECTION TWO - THE GROUPS OF CONNECTIONS FOUND ON THE TV - 1ST GROUP - HDMI IN

There are five different groups of connections found at the rear and sides of my TV. The first group is labelled HDMI CONNECTIONS and this group contains two different sets. The first set is labelled "HDMI 1 IN" and the second set is labelled "HDMI 2 IN". I know almost nothing about HDMI and I'm assuming it will not be used to connect my PC to my TV and so I will not say anything further about it.

SECTION TWO - THE GROUPS OF CONNECTIONS FOUND ON THE TV - 2ND GROUP - PC IN

This next group of connections is labelled "PC IN" and it contains only two connections. The first is a VGA connection used to carry a video signal from my PC's display adaptor. The second is a circular connection labelled "AUDIO". It is very similar to the kinds of connections that I've been calling "audio connections" but the innermost hole is slightly larger. I have never seen this before and I have no idea what type of cable I would try to connect to it. I also have no idea where that cable would originate. I assume this group would be used to carry the video signal from my PC into my TV.

SECTION TWO - THE GROUPS OF CONNECTIONS FOUND ON THE TV - 3RD GROUP - VIDEO IN

This next group contains three sets of input signals labelled "VIDEO 1 IN", "VIDEO 2 IN" and "VIDEO 3 IN".
The connections for "VIDEO 1 IN" and "VIDEO 3 IN" are found at the back of the TV while the connections for "VIDEO 2 IN" is found on the left side of the TV. They each appear to use a very large cicular connection called an S-VIDEO connection. "VIDEO 1 IN" and "VIDEO 3 IN" are found at the rear of the TV while "VIDEO 2 IN" is found on the side of the TV.

I know almost nothing about S-VIDEO and I'm assuming it will not be used to connect my PC to my TV and so I will not say anything further about it.

SECTION TWO - THE GROUPS OF CONNECTIONS FOUND ON THE TV - 4TH GROUP - COMPONENT IN

This next group contains two sets of input signals labelled "COMPONENT 1 IN" and "COMPONENT 2 IN". Each set contains five input "audio type" of connections. I described these five connections earlier.

I've been using "COMPONENT 1 IN" as the primary input for both my audio and video signals and they are currently output from my PVR (Personal Video Recorder) which receives its input from the cable provided by my cable company.

I must admit that I am confused about one aspect of Vic2pc's first post in which he says, that "if my TV contained an RGB input at its rear, then I could use the TV like a big monitor for my PC. The reason I'm confused is that the two input connections at the rear of my TV are clearly labelled RGB connections and they each consist of five "audio type connections". As a result, I had never imagined that when Vic2pc mentioned an "RGB type input", he could possibly be referring to some other kind of input. But, that is apparently what he intended. It seems to me that he has referred to what I am calling a "VGA type cable" as an "RGB type of cable". I would certainly appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this.

Specifically, I'd very much like to learn what the correct terms are for those connections I have been calling "audio connections" and "audio cables", "RGB connections" and "RGB cables" and "VGA connections" and "VGA cables"

UPDATE: I have recently learned these kinds of connections and cables are probably called "RCA" connections and "RCA" cables.

SECTION TWO - THE GROUPS OF CONNECTIONS FOUND ON THE TV - 5TH GROUP - AUDIO OUT

The last group is labelled "AUDIO OUT" and contains two audio type of connections - one is Red and the other White. They are labelled as "VAR / FIX".
It also contains an unusal connection labelled DIGITAL OUT (Optical). I've never seen that type of connection before and I assume the connections used in AUDIO OUT are used to pass the audio signal out to some device (maybe a CD recorder) which is just used to record the audio.

Please note that I hope to update this post to describe the on-screen menus displayed by my TVs remote control. I'm thinking that info really needs to be known in order to solve this problem.

#12 ·
Right, This method only works if you have the right kind of graphics card.

1) Check your graphics card, Is there a port which is the same as the HDMI port on your TV? If yes go to step 2 if not, I'm sorry.
2) Get a HDMI cable, You can get them for any price from eBay, But in a hardware store You'd probably find them for anywhere between $10-$40, If you have an Xbox 360 or PS3 You'll have a HDMI cable in the box.
3) Plug one end of the cable into either of the HDMI slots on your TV, Then the same on your PC
4) Switch on your TV and PC, On your TV Switch it to the correct channel (Sometimes the port numbers are the wrong way around, So check both channels but leave a 10 sec wait between switching because they take a while) On your PC if the display has not magically disabled itself (Which mine does) Check your resolution settings and see what you can do in there, Look for some monitor settings
5) Get some popcorn, grab your best chair and sit down and watch your new giant monitor.

#13 ·
I get the following message: "Unsupported Signal. Check your device output."
Assuming that you've set your PC to use the PC cable that's plugged in, then perhaps your PC needs to lower its refresh rate to work with your TV (ie. it might be refreshing at too high a frequency that your TV can handle).

So, for XP: try right-clicking the Desktop, selecting "Properties", then "Settings" button, then "Advanced" button, then "Monitor" tab; then lower the "Screen refresh rate" to something like 60 Hertz. I can't guarantee this will help, but we must try everything. :)

#14 ·
So, are you saying you can't unplug your PC's monitor cable and plug it into your TV anywhere? If not, and if there's no USB option, then there's 3 things left to try:

(1) Check your PC's video card for another output. It may have an S-VHS output, so you'd buy an S-VHS cable to connect your PC to the TV that way.

(2) Buy an RGB to RCA video cable, so you can unplug your PC's RGB monitor cable and use the converter cable instead, to go from your PC to TV that way (into the white/yellow/red RCA inputs).

(3) Use a free app called "DVD Flick" to quickly and effortlessly convert all your AVIs onto a DVD disc, then just play that DVD on your TV.

Hope this helps!
Wow! The free app "DVD Flick" sounds like something wonderful that will help me in a a few different ways.

I will be able to use that irrespective of what I wind up doing with my PC and TV.

I never realized that was possible and it will be a big help.

Thank you.

Meanwhile I have been doing some research and I have learned that S-Video is apparently fairly inferior to VGA TV. So I will try to connect the VGA cable from my PC's display card to my TV.

I believe that what I am calling the VGA cable or VGA connection, you are calling the RGB connection.

I am easily able to connect my VGA cable from my PC to my TV. That is not a problem.

The problem seems to be to tell the TV to use the VGA cable as its input source and to prevent some other signals from interferring with the VGA cable. At least, that is my current assumption.

#15 ·
Assuming that you've set your PC to use the PC cable that's plugged in, then perhaps your PC needs to lower its refresh rate to work with your TV (ie. it might be refreshing at too high a frequency that your TV can handle).

So, for XP: try right-clicking the Desktop, selecting "Properties", then "Settings" button, then "Advanced" button, then "Monitor" tab; then lower the "Screen refresh rate" to something like 60 Hertz. I can't guarantee this will help, but we must try everything. :)
Excellent attitude! Indeed, we must try everything. I am running Windows 7 but will try to set the refresh rate lower and see if that has any effect.

#16 ·
It doesn't matter what else is connected to the TV. Connect the computer to the VGA port and select that input. Check the TV manual to see what resolutions are supported, and make sure you change to one of those before connecting to the TV.
Unfortunately, I have lost the manual and I will try to find a copy online or hope that someone who owns this TV will post the supported resolutions.

Apparently all Sony Bravia TVs are extremely similar and I would expect that any size of Sony Bravia TV with model number close to KDL-32S3000 will all support the same resolutions.

#17 ·
It turns out that Double Helix was correct.

All I had to do was change the screen resolution to get this to work. Unfortunately, the result is a mix of good news and bad news.

The good news is that it worked. Now I need to buy a DVI cable and I can connect my PC to my TV with the DVI cable and my PC to my monitor with the VGA cable and then switching my PC between my TV and my monitor will be as easy as just using my TV's remote control to push a button.

Unfortunately my regular display size is 1680x1050 and the TV will not display such a large resolution.

The largest resolution it will display is 1024x768.

But the bad news is that when I use the resolution of 1024x768, the largest window that can be desplayed on my TV is approx 75 percent of the width of the screen. That is just about the size of the image on my PC monitor.

So, my original goal has been thwarted. Curses!

It was to play my .AVI files on my TV in order to be able to display a larger image. But the largest image I can display on my TV is about the same size as the one I can display on my PC's monitor.

Oh well, at least Vic2pc told me about that wonderful free app. I will try to get that to work now and create DVDs from my .AVI files and then I will be able to hopefull finally accomplish my goal and play my .AVI files on my TV.

Regardless of how this project works out, I wish to express very great thanks to Vic2pc as well as Double Helix. Thank you both very, very much!

I will leave this thread marked "UNSOLVED" for a few days in case anyone else has any ideas how I can display the full sized image of my .AVI files on my TV without the need for creating DVDs.

Thanks to everyone.

#19 ·
I found DVD Flick and downloaded it.

Unfortunately, it does not contain any executable file and needs to be compiled.

When I try, I get the message that it can't find the patch or file containing RC.EXE which is the Microsoft Visual Basic Studio.

Does anyone know if that is a free download? Or do I need to pay for MS Visual Basic?

Here is the path that it complains it can't find: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\RC.EXE

#21 ·
What do you mean by the picture only using 75% of the screen? Do you mean that the video isn't full screen? Or it isn't at a resolution you expected?
I set the video (meaning Windows Media Player) to full screen and that works perfectly on my PC's monitor.

However, when I display it on my TV, it only uses about 75% of the TV's area and the rest remains black.

It turns out to be a relatively small problem. But, if it is possible, I would certainly prefer to have the image appear on the entire TV and not leave 25% of the surface area unused.

You know, just an afterthought, but it sure would be nice if this editor permitted me to draw simple straight-line images. It would be very easy to draw exactly what I am trying to convey in words. A picture certainly is worh a thousand words.

P.S. Thank you very much for all your help. Not only in this thread - but in several other threads as well.

IMO, you are one of the most helpful members here and it is very much appreciated!!

For, sure!

#22 ·
It's probably an issue because you're switching displays while Windows is running. It's not changing the type of display dynamically, and because this is a desktop, not a laptop, there's no F key combination to switch displays.

Try going to Device Manager and doing a refresh or re-detect of devices to see if it picks up the display change. I don't have a Windows XP system up at the moment to check the options in Display. You might check there too for an option that refreshes the display or monitor attached.

#23 ·
I found DVD Flick and downloaded it.

Unfortunately, it does not contain any executable file and needs to be compiled.
You didn't download it from the right place. Here's the download page: http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php

Click the big yellow "Download DVD Flick" button, and it'll take you to a mirror page where a 12.4 MB file named "dvdflick_setup_1.3.0.7.exe" can be downloaded.

Then just run that file to install it. For your reference, I just did all these steps to confirm that it works. ;)

#24 ·
Which 25% is black?

If there are bars on the top and bottom OR the left and right of the screen, it's because the video AR (AR = Aspect Ratio) of the video does not match the TV. It's common for a lot of video.

If there are black bars on all 4 sides, then check the video settings. There should be an option to adjust Overscan/Underscan or to adjust the image size to fill the screen.

Aspect Ratio info: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html

#25 ·
There are bars at the top, bottom, left and right.

Sorry I didn't answer earlier, but I dropped my PC and it's been in the repair shop for the past 3 days.

I think I have solved the problem to my satisfaction thought. See my post below.

Which 25% is black?

If there are bars on the top and bottom OR the left and right of the screen, it's because the video AR (AR = Aspect Ratio) of the video does not match the TV. It's common for a lot of video.

If there are black bars on all 4 sides, then check the video settings. There should be an option to adjust Overscan/Underscan or to adjust the image size to fill the screen.

Aspect Ratio info: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html

#26 ·
I just wanted to provide you all with an update.

A few days ago I was vacuuming and wan't being too careful and I bumped the vacum into the table on which my PC was resting and it fell to the ground .Scratch two hardrives and a very expensive repari job.

But as part of that repair, the owner of my local PC shop advised me that I should really be using HDMI to connect my PC to my TV and not VGA as HDMI is more modern and is a much better way to connect a PC to a TV. For one thing, he told me that I would be able to display the image of myh .AVI files in "full screen" mode on myh TV - regardless of the resolution.

And he was correct. I can now display the image either on my monitor or on my TV with just a single push of a button.

So, the repair was expensive, but I definitely got some value out of it.

Funny, that I should have Googled HDMI the first time I saw it - just to find out what it was all about. But I never did. I hope to do that soon and find out some of the other advantages that HDMI has over the older approaches (i.e. VGA, DMI and S-Video).

In the meantime, thank you all again and if I learn aything else useful, I will let you all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.