1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connecting my Xbox to my PC to get internet.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by austingn, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. austingn

austingn Thread Starter

I know it can be done, I have searched and searched pulling up answers that don't work for my computer (I don't know why but they didn't). I built my computer myself so I have no one to call for help (besides Xbox but they wanted 80 bucks for their help). I can give as much info about my computer as needed and am open to trying anything, I just realy need it to work... soon. the basic Idea though is that I hook up my desktop to my wireless connection (which works) and then connect my xbox to my desktop via RJ-45 cord to get a connection on my xbox for xbox live. any hints/suggestions please?

2. thebrownone

thebrownone

What you need is a crossover RJ-45 cable to connect the two. In the properties of your wireless connection you need to enable ICS (internet connection sharing) and it should get you up and running.

3. lilLB

lilLB

i did this in the past and all i did was connect the supplied ethernet from the xbox into the Network card on the computer and found the setting to "share internet access through this pc" or whatever under i believe network connections
    sorry for the vagueness of my answer it was a while back and i dont have it set up that way anymore

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Don't use ICS, bridge the two connections in the PC for the XBOX connection This will eliminate the NAT layer of ICS and result in better results. :)

5. austingn

austingn Thread Starter

Thankyou! wow, I couldn't find out how to do this anywhere. it worked, I just connected my xbox to my wireless desktop via RJ-45 cord went into the network connections highlighted the two connections that I wanted to use, for example I highlighted the first local area connection and the wireless connection right clicked one and left clicked bidge connection. and that worked, but you have to make sure that your xbox is set up so that it automatically detects your settings (DNS, IP adress, etc.). so that is the very detailed version of how to hook up your xbox to xbox live through your PC.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad it worked out. I've never understood why people try to use ICS if there's a router in the picture, the bridged connection works much better.

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice