1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connecting one particular laptop via the wireless connection disrupts interne

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DammyTechSupport, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DammyTechSupport

DammyTechSupport Thread Starter

Hello, I'm Dammy. Theres a problem i've been battling with for the past few days and i was hoping someone could help me out. Whenever i connect a particular acer laptop to the internet at work via the wireless, internet access is lost after a period that ranges from 30 minutes to 1 hour and i have to reboot the VSAT modem to restore internet connectivity. This cycle of rebooting the vsat modem to restore internet access goes on and on until the problematic laptop is powered off.

Initially i thought the problem was with the modem since i always had to restart it, but i noticed that if i didnt take that laptop to work, internet access stayed up the whole day.

The acer laptop is enabled for DHCP and connects to a cisco wireless acess point that is connected to a cisco 2960 series switch which is in turn connected to the VSAT modem.

Looking forward to your reply.
    Thanks a mil

2. james28909

james28909

sounds to me that the lease time for your connection is limited for your laptop. maybe thats how they have it setup at your job. if you can access the routers config page, find an ip that isnt being used, then set your laptop to the unused ip, then go to the lease time for your connection and set it to infinite

sounds to me like they have any ip that isnt in their "workgroup" lease time is set to 30 mins or and hour

3. james28909

james28909

do you have access to the routers config page from your computer?

4. DammyTechSupport

James, thanks for your quick reply. Yeah, i do have access to access to the 2960 series switch, but i dont have access to the vsat modem. However, its not just that laptop that cant access the internet, all computers lose internet connectivity until i reboot the vsat modem.

5. DammyTechSupport

sorry for the repetitions in my last post, was in a bit of a hurry.

6. james28909

james28909

i would suggest before anything try to make a static ip in the routers configuration with lease time set to infinite.

just go to your adapters configuration on your laptop, get the ip address. then go to the routers configuration page and type it in, and set the lease time to infinite. be sure its the connection you use for the wireless connection or wifi.

7. DammyTechSupport

Thanks a lot guys, i think i've been able to solve the problem. I cleaned the acer laptop of viruses, trojans etc. with Kaspersky internet security and i also enabled DHCP snooping on the switch. The network has been fine for the past three days, with or without the acer laptop connected to the network.

Thanks a mil

8. james28909

james28909

also man, be sure your default gateway is set to the same as the computer that is hosting the internet connection

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice