Solved: connecting printer to vista and xp driver?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

classylassy

We have a new laptop with Vista os. we have added it to our network, which consists of an XP desktop wired to the printer and a couple of other laptops both xp which also use the printer wirerlessly.

The printer is a dell 942 which is compatible with both vista and xp

The network is set up correctly and all computors can see each other,

Without considering the need for different drivers being needed for the different OS, i attempted to install the printer to the new vista laptop via the visible printer in the network folder on the vista laptop.

vista laptop wouldnt accept the printer and mentioned something about spools!

my research found this:-

[URL="http://vista.blorge.com/2008/06/19/windows-vista-finally-made-to-play-nice-with-dell-printer/"URL]

now im confused!
does my xp desktop need the vista drivers?

do i use the dell patch on the vista laptop even though the printer isnt installed on it but may have some bits of an xp driver somewhere in its workings because of the failed attempt to install? or just roll back the system?

im guessing all my other laptops wont be effected, but then again????

If you install it the way you did, it will. You have two choices: (1) install the Vista drivers on the XP machine using the Printer Additional drivers utility, or (2) install the Vista drivers on the vista machine. Install the printer as if it's connected locally. After it's installed, use Network to find the printer on the XP machine (it will show up if it's shared correctly). Then, right-click on the printer and select Connect. Finally, you can delete the original printer you installed. (Don't delete the drivers.)

Courtney

classylassy

Things are not working as i would like,

I tried the add additional driver route on the XP, but it seems not to show vista as a system available to add additional drivers for, (if you see what i mean).

Do you have a solution?

TerryNet

Terry
Have you tried Courtney's 2nd suggestion? Physically connect the printer to the Vista, install and print a Test Page. Then reconnect the printer to the normal host PC. From the Vista use any of several ways to "connect" to the printer across the network. This usually works because Windows already has the correct driver.

If this doesn't work, please try to give details, including exact error message(s) if you get any.

classylassy

Thanks for all your help.
The vista is now printing when connected directly to the printer.

Tomorrow i will attempt to connect it wirelessly.
Dont know exactly how i overcame it, but ended up with none of the computers printing. I uninstalled them all and started again!! But i did install the vista printer drivers on the host PC aswell as the vista laptop, before reinstalling the printer.

Tomorrow i will try connecting through the network connections, finding the host PC, locating the printer and connecting with fingers crossed..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online