1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connecting to the internet on my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Laptiny, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Laptiny

Laptiny Thread Starter

Hi all again,

I managed to fix the screen problem with my laptop in my last thread, by simply hanging the computer upside down for 2 minutes, then turning it to normal axis.

Now, I'm also having another problem, related to connecting to the internet. I'm no computer wizz, however if I'm told something, I should be able to do it.

Ok.

So I have a blue ethernet cable, which is plugged in directly to my modem.

I can get internet working on my desktop, however when I plug the ethernet cable into my laptop, I get the following message:

"This connection has limited or no connectivity..."

It recognises that I've plugged in the ethernet cable, however when I go to try to repair the problem, listed under "Network Connections", I get an error message saying that it could not 'renew the ip address'.

I HAVE used this laptop in a way, where I'd just plug in the ethernet cable and the internet would work, (Around 6 months ago) however for some reason it is not working for me anymore.

Help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks.

2. aasmith26

aasmith26

Hi there. I would try to reset your cable modem/router in order to allow you nic in your laptop to. Get an IP. Then do a repair on your network icon. You should be good to go after that. G++5 Luck :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. aasmith26

aasmith26

Hi there. I would try to reset your cable modem/router in order to allow you nic in your laptop to Get an IP. Then do a repair on your network icon. You should be good to go after that. G++5 Luck :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Laptiny

Laptiny Thread Starter

Hi there sir,

Do you mean I should just turn the modem off - then on?

Thanks! :)

5. aasmith26

aasmith26

Hello. Yes I would turn the modem off for about 30 seconds, turn it back on. THen plug in your ethernet cable. You should be fine :).

==Secondly==

If that does not work, there should be a reset button on the back of the modem. Hit that with a pen or small paper clip, then repair/renew IP and you should be good to go. I'll be on for about 30 mins while you try it.

6. Laptiny

Laptiny Thread Starter

Hi there,

I'm responding through my laptop right now. Thank you very much, could not have done it without you. :D

Hopefully I can also get some help later on, setting up wireless router so I can have internet on my laptop and desktop at the same time. (I'll open another thread once I receive my wireless router)

Thanks again and much appreciated. :D

7. aasmith26

aasmith26

Congrats! I have had this happen so many times and its really annoying. I think it bonds to your MAC address (if you're directly connected to your cable modem). Once you set up your router to connect to the modem, it will bond to your router's MAC address and then you can connect freely any machine without worrying about rebooting any hardware. Hope you have a great evening! :)

8. Laptiny

Laptiny Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks.

While you are here.

I was wondering... I'm not sure if my desktop is Wi-Fi compatible, though I know my laptop is, considering it is a Centrino (Pentium M)... Does my desktop have to HAVE Wi-Fi in order to connect to my modem? Or do I just connect it via another e-thernet?

Sorry if I'm confusing, as I'm not that sure what Wi-Fi is, I assume it's the computer connecting to the router without a wire.

Cheers. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/796058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice