1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connecting (via ethernet cable) to satillite dish from a long distance

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RScotR, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RScotR

RScotR Thread Starter

First of all...hats off to those here who put in countless hours to help others for what seems like little more than the satisfaction of doing it. It's quite a thing to behold. I've been searching this site and haven't found exactly what my situation is.

Here's the set-up:

We live on a large rural property and the only high speed internet we can get out here is satellite. There are two houses on the property and the main house has a Direcway satellite dish. We'd like to run an ethernet cable underground from the [DW6000] Hughes/Direcway box in the main house to the second house so that both houses have high speed internet. The problem is the distance between the two houses. We have been told that the maximum distance for ethernet cable to be effective is 100 meters. The length of cable it would take to make the connection would have to be about 107-110 meters long or 351 ft. - 360 ft.

We can't use a wireless connection because of the high number of large trees.
    There's also a concern with electrical storms with buried ethernet cable even though we plan on using PVC conduit.

Also, the second house has two computers, one Mac, one PC. Do we run two cables from the main house or split at the entry of the second house?
    Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Have you considered using fiber-optic cable instead of copper cable. It will not be cheap but you will easily be able to go beyond 100 meters and you eliminate the possibility electrical storm interference or damage through the cable.

Found this networking summary with a quick Google search:
    http://www.techfest.com/networking/lan/ethernet4.htm

Edit: As for the two computers, you should be able to terminate the fiber connection into a suitable router or switch that will share multiple computers on a single fiber connection.

3. RScotR

RScotR Thread Starter

Thank you. Yes we have considered fiber optic and yes it's more expensive. At the cost of the cable along with the media converters we might need at each end, it becomes quite a bit more. We have been researching every option. I have just sent a letter off to The Fiber Optic Cable Shop asking all the questions as I have no clue which type of fiber optic cable we would need or media converters or connectors etc.

The link is helpful too. I'm guessing (if we go with ethernet) that we would need something more than 10mb/s. The DW6000 is capable of 48mb/s as I understand it. Again, I'm guessing. This is out of my element.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can get away with more than 100 meters with Ethernet, I've seen it run 500 feet without issues. However, there's a much bigger issue wiring between buildings, grounding and lightning protection! Running signal cables between separate structures is not something you want to do if you don't provide the proper protection. The best solution here is opto-isolation. Obviously, the fiber solution previously suggested is best, and it really won't be prohibitively expensive. Here's one of many sites that sell fiber optic Ethernet converters: http://www.bb-elec.com/Fiber_Optic.asp

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Any chance that a powerline adapter may work?

Regards,
    Rollin

6. JohnWill

My experience with power line adapters has been abysmal, so I certainly wouldn't recommend them. :)

7. RScotR

RScotR Thread Starter

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    'Bump' this on Aug. 15th (JohnWill due back from vacation).

9. RScotR

RScotR Thread Starter

Since I posted this add-on question, I've learned that they do have media converters with two ports in - two ports out, which would be used in the case where we ran two fiber optic cables.... one for each computer. (first diagram, first scenario)

The question again would be is it neccessary to run 2 fiber optics?

10. JohnWill

11. RScotR

RScotR Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help! Very appreciated.

12. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

13. RScotR

RScotR Thread Starter

Decisions have been mostly solved.......the job is yet to start. ;)

14. JohnWill

Details. :D

15. RScotR

RScotR Thread Starter

Bumping this back up to report the results. Project complete.

Anyone wanting to network over a long distance (over 100 meters) should find this helpful.

After deciding to go with fiber optic cable and media converters at each end, (too many things wrong with ethernet at that distance),we contacted the Fiber Optic Cable Shop. Gerry Schumacher and Ben Parsons (affectionately known as Ben & Gerry) were very helpful in not only getting us what we needed, but what we needed to know. They even purchased a 3/4" conduit 90º sweep to make sure the cable and connectors would go through ok for us. Mathematically it's close.

We used:
    - One standard ethernet hub (available at any computer store).
    - One 10/100 Mbps ethernet to fiber optic media converter (upstream).
    - 110 meters of multimode 50/125 duplex (must be duplex for 2-way media transfer) fiber optic cable with [highly recommended] pull-eyes at each end.
    - One Ethernet switch = 7 port + 1 fiber port media converter (downstream).

It diagrams like this.

Things of note:
    - Fiber optic is very fragile and should never be twisted, bent, kinked or looped too small.
    - 3/4 " conduit is the smallest you can use. The connectors will not pass through 1/2 ".
    - Do not come up short! Unless you are a schooled trained professional with putting on connectors, don't expect to make a splice and add some cable. I'd advise getting extra length (be very sure) and have the connectors installed with pull-eyes at the shop.

In the end after all was hooked up, the downstream computers could not read the signal for set-up. After some more research, we were advised to take the two downstream computers and hook them directly to the satellite box for set-up. After that was successful, we brought the computers back downstream and they worked. Both see the internet separately and seamlessly, and both hold the same satellite signal strength as the "mother" main house computer upstream.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/600699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice