1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connection problems with Linksys router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jfreak, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfreak

jfreak Thread Starter

:confused: I have a Linksys WRT54G router and I had to reset it several times because of past issues with my Vonage device (which is connected to my router and modem). As a result, I lost the security that was set up and can not get it back. I have been wireless and unsecure for awhile now and was not aware. I tried to reinstall or use Linksys Easy Link Advisor but it told me it could not detect my Local Area Connection to complete setup. I have all of the cords in place and I am currently using my Local Area Connection and not the wireless. I did a "ipcofig/all" to check to see if I had an IP address but I do not. My wireless network connection says connected however, it just keeps 'acquiring network address' but can't find one to connect to. Will someone please help me fix my IP Config. so I can connect to the internet wirelessly!!??:confused:

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Regarding security,that is generally done by loging onto the router itself go to the wireless security section and enabling encryption(wpa would be preferred.)

A copy of your ipconfig from the non working environment might be helpful.

3. jfreak

jfreak Thread Starter

I don't know how to get a copy of ipcofig. It won't allow me to copy and paste. Second, I don't understand where to go to do the security encryption. Can you please elaborate in detail on what to do? I am a bit lost. Thanks.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK:
    Here is the IPCONFIG info:

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
    ______

Router info:
    If you are on XP,go to My Network Places.You should see an entry for your router,perhaps wrt54g.Clicking on that will bring you to the router logon page.
    Mine is filled out with userid/password
    Once logged in,go to wireless/wireless security.
    This section allows you to set up encryption.
    This and other setup parameters are included in the router's user's manual.If you do not have one,you can download it from the Linksys website.
    I believe that the default router address is 192.168.1.1,but from your ipconfig,the field "default gateway"will probably be the router's address.

5. jfreak

jfreak Thread Starter

Here is what I did. I don't know if it was right or not. Also in My Network Places, I don't see an option for Linksys or WRT54G. All I see is on the left hand side there is a window pane that has "Network Tasks", underneath that is "Other Places" and under that is "Details". I am using XP. From My Network Places I can 'View Network Connections', 'Setup a wireless network' etc... but no info on my router under any of the subheadings.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Cassandra>PING <computer_IP_address>
    The syntax of the command is incorrect.

C:\Documents and Settings\Cassandra>PING<computer_IP_address>

C:\Documents and Settings\Cassandra>PING <default_gateway_address>

C:\Documents and Settings\Cassandra>PING <dns_servers>

C:\Documents and Settings\Cassandra>PING 206.190.60.37

Pinging 206.190.60.37 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=49
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 67ms, Maximum = 94ms, Average = 80ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Cassandra>PING yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [68.180.206.184] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=48
    Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=48
    Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 68.180.206.184:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 71ms, Maximum = 89ms, Average = 78ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Cassandra>

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok;One thing at a time.
    From your ipconfig /all what is the default gateway address?

7. jfreak

jfreak Thread Starter

Somehow,it seemed to work out. I got rid of the other issues that I had and my wireless began to work. Weird but it's working now and I am secure. Thanks a bunch for the help. I appreciate it much!!!(y)

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Good news/Can you remember what you did to resolve the issue?

Glad we could help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice