1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connections and downloads are fast but browsers are "stuck"

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by llixgrijb, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Latitude D410 Laptop. No matter what I connect to, dial-up or dsl, the behavior is always the same: the computer always indicates it has an excellent connection even though the browsers are very, very sluggish. I use Firefox 3.6.3 and Internet Explorer 8 for backup. Pages on Firefox won't load unless I repeatedly refresh the page several times. If I don't do that, it will continue "loading" indefinitely. When I use Explorer, the pages don't even load at all. An error screen will either state that it isn't a valid webpage or that it has some kind of server problem.

Sometimes the browser connection picks up a bit and will work normally for a minute or so. Most of the time I'll have to click everything a dozen times to get it to even partially load a page. This has led to accidentally sending people multiple duplicate emails among other frustrations.

When using dial-up, the speed ranges from 42-48 kbps. That's a pretty decent speed considering. On wireless or LAN I get excellent signal strength. But both browsers still lag. What's peculiar is, downloading files and programs or email attachments are about normal speed for their respective connections. When using dial-up the speed for a typical email attachment is 4 kbps and when downloading a large file using wireless it tops off at around 300 kbps.

Among the various things I've tried: uninstalling and reinstalling and updating drivers, system restore, and using Winsockfix. I thought it could be a virus but AVG turned up nothing. I have another laptop that runs just fine using the same browsers and connections so it might just be this particular computer's problem.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do these repairs if you are not sure they are the ones you did.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

Yes I've tried that CMD line thing as well. The browsers still lag. I have also tried unsuccessfully:
    - Unticking the "use proxy" box in Internet Options
    - Using a utility that completely removes any traces of Norton/Symantec products I may have left on my system. There were many reports of Norton being the culprit of this type of problem.
    - Changing DNS servers using the Namebench program (although the problem affected not just hi-speed connections but old-fashioned dial-up as well).
    - Used Malwarebytes. It found and removed one infection, santa.bat, but upon reboot the browser behavior didn't change.

4. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

It was AVG 9 that was causing the problem. All good now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice