1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: connections tray icon showing wrong status

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Maru1, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

Hello!
    I am running Windows 7 64bit on a Toshiba laptop.
    As you see in the attached photo, the connections information icon shows "wireless connections are available" status even though I am connected! I am connected via hotspot (with a program called Connectify) to another laptop which has wired connection. I have no problems with the connection itself, but only with that status icon's wrong display.

This happend after I installed software for a bluetooth usb adapter. I have searched the web for the same problem and tried the suggested fixes: uninstalled the software, uninstalled the network adapters (wired and wireless), deleted iconchache.db file but none worked for me.
    This problem is really driving me nuts so I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix it!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are several wireless networks available, including the one to which you are connected. If you don't want them to be detected you need to move away from them or remove or disable or switch off your wireless adapter.

I'm wondering if you are actually being bothered by the yellow blotch rather than the wireless networks. I suspect that has something to do with the "Dial-up and VPN" or "Broadband Connection."

3. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply
    I have no problem with all those wireless networks. That is not the problem

I am being bothered by the yellow blotch. When I am connected the icon should be those white bars in the triangle which means "wireless connected" (see the picture in below) and not the icon with the yellow blotch that means "wireless connections available".

Attached Files:

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Looks very complicated. But you may sort it out like this. Open Network and sharing centre. Over on the left select "Manage wireless connections"
    Right click and delete all burt the one you actually use to gain access to the internet.
    You may find that the bar is all white, but if not, click it anf connect to the (hopefully) one remianing connection. Make sure, of the option is available, to click also, "automaticcally connect"

5. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

On this laptop I access internet with ad-hoc connection through a program called Connectify - I am not actually using a wireless connection so there are no connections in the "Manage wireless connections" window = that is not the source of the problem then.
    Some of you will probably say: "ok, so there's the source of your problem with the icon..." - no, that is not the case because until the other day (until I installed that Bluesoleil Bluetooth software) the tray icon was "white bars" when I was connected to ad-hoc network (using connectify)...
    I hope I am making sense :eek:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You are making sense, but I think that the "available wireless connection" is a false lead. I think the yellow splotch indicates a possible problem with one of the connections, not necessarily the wireless. But, I don't know. I've never seen an explanation for what the different Windows 7 network icons and their variations are supposed to mean. Do you have a link to that info?

7. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

I can't find a site that explains them all in one place so I cropped the pictures where each is shown. These are just for wireless!

legend:

1) wireless connections are available (not yet connected)
    2) connected to a wireless network
    3) limited or no connectivity
    4) identifying connection / establishing connection
    5) ad-hoc secure connection

mine is now 1) when it should be 2) because I am connected

possible problems with connection is icon 3)

Attached Files:

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you. I have no more ideas on this.

9. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

Bump!

Anybody else out there got some suggestions?

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are you sure that you are NOT mixing up the two different connections of "Bluetooth" and "Wireless NIC"?
    On my laotop has both.

11. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

The problem is resolved.
    I think the problem was that Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter was disabled - that adapter controls ad-hoc connections.
    Now I enabled it and the tray icon is showing correct status~

Thanks to all for trying to help!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice