1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connectivity issue Windows 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sl561, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sl561

sl561 Thread Starter

I have a Windows 7 HP laptop that will no longer connect properly to the internet. It is not my ISP or my router because I have other devices that have no such problem. In fact, I am writing this from a Windows 8 laptop that connects just fine to the internet. The problematic Windows 7 computer indicates that the wireless signal is "excellent." At about half the time, I am able to connect and download some info (e.g., my calendar will update) but the speed is so slow that www.speedtest.net, which I frequently use, wont even run. The other half of the time I am unable to access anything on the internet, getting error messages indicating that a page has timed out, or that my computer isn't connected to the internet.

I've repeatedly run diagnostics which either can't find a specific problem, or give an inaccurate error message, saying that there is a problem with my ISP or my router...which, as I've already said, is clearly not the case. The only other problem I can find is that the Teredo tunneling adpater won't run because of Error 10. I've read elsewhere on this site, that this is only relevant for ipv6 connections. But, I must say that on the day this problem first became apparent, THAT was the first error message that I saw. I've disabled and re-enabled it, with no change. I've checked the driver and I'm told that the existing driver is the most current one. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its possible the machine has a virus/maleware
    but try
    - try safemode with networking (sometimes wireless does not work with safemode )

For other windows version, XP,Vista, W7 as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
    safemode with networking - see if that works

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and complete model number of that HP laptop?

What's the part/product number(P/N) on it?

That's not always true.

---------------------------------------------------------

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Just to add you could try the following.

Click the Start button → All Programs → Accessories → Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

**Note: Pay attention to how long it takes for the following command to complete, if it happens rather quick (3-5 seconds) let me know. It should take about 30 seconds after hitting enter and getting the “Ok”

So in the command prompt type: netsh int teredo set state disable (press enter)

If the response is “Ok” then close command prompt and restart the computer.

Try a speed test again.

5. sl561

sl561 Thread Starter

Flavalle...The Model is HP Pavillion Notebook dv4-1543sb
    Product number VM169UA#ABA

6. sl561

sl561 Thread Starter

Coolburn....I entered the command line as you indicated and the response time was very quick... 3 second for the OK response. I restarted it and attempted to run a speed check. No go. The connection is so slow that the test times out.

7. sl561

sl561 Thread Starter

Etaf...I have not tried your solution yet because I am not currently able to connect an Ethernet cable. But I tend to think it's not a virus because this is a secondary computer that is rarely used. The last time I used it several months ago it was fine. I got it out to update a few things. I believe a Windows Update might have run, but I'm not sure. I will check on this.

8. geek117

geek117

I'm inclined to think you've got a bigger issue going on here. All the Teredo Tunneling adapter does is allow you to tunnel IPv6 packets over IPv4 WAN networks. Chances are you don't need the tunneling adapter or IPv6 enabled unless you have some special use case for it (business). You could disable both from within your NIC.

Have you checked your proxy settings to make sure you didn't somehow pick up a proxy config somewhere?

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button [​IMG]. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.
    2. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
    3. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.
    4. De-select the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" check box if checked.
    5. Select "Automatically detect settings"
    If you (from the command line) do an IPCONFIG /ALL, can you run a continuous ping to your Default Gateway and watch for any dropped packets? For instance:

PS C:\Users\User> ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Desktop-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.14(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.146.35.35
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Run a continuous ping:
    PS C:\Users\User> ping -t 192.168.10.254

Pinging 192.168.10.254 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.10.254: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.10.254: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.10.254:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

Stop the Continuous ping:
    Ctrl+C

Examine the response times you get, and watch for anything that says "Request timed out."

=============================

It might help to see the output of the IPCONFIG /ALL just to see what you have for DNS servers, any loopbacks, etc. Also, it may help to know your NIC adapter type / chipset and current driver version. If you open the device's properties in the Device Manager and go to the "Details" tab, you can select from the drop-down "Hardware IDs" and paste the output here. This may help us determine what the most up to date driver version is for your current hardware. It doesn't hurt to uninstall the device and reinstall the device with the latest driver.

Lastly, depending on the laptop your manufacturer may have released firmware and BIOS updates for your device since purchase. These are usually a last resort unless it is determined that there is a specific fix for the issue you are experiencing.

9. geek117

geek117

Is this specific to a certain browser, or is this a problem across the board with all browsers?

10. sl561

sl561 Thread Starter

geek117...thanks for your extensive response. I'm a bit too tired right now to try everything, but I will tomorrow. Meanwhile, in answer to your question: My default browser is Chrome, but I have tried IE, and the problem exists there as well. So no, it's not browser specific.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from HP's web site.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista through 10.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8 thru 10: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine after all three commands; no need to boot after the 1st and 2nd.

12. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion dv4-1543sb Entertainment Notebook PC (VM169UA#ABA)

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

According to the Windows 7 64-bit drivers section, it has an Atheros or Broadcom or Intel wireless device.

The listed drivers for those wireless devices are dated late 2009 through early 2011, so there should be more current drivers elsewhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Control Panel - Device Manager.

Expand the Network Adapters heading.

Advise us the exact description listed there for the wireless device.

Double-click that device to open its properties window, then click the "Driver" tab.

Advise us the driver manufacturer and driver version and driver date listed there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. geek117

geek117

Chrome uses the proxy settings from IE, so that's not a great test. You would have to verify it with Firefox, or another browser which has its own proxy settings.

I think everyone is pretty much insistent on ensuring you have the most up to date NIC drivers, in addition to attempting the other fixes mentioned. I typically work on Windows Servers where things tend to run a bit more smooth, but I've never once had to run a Winsock fix on any system after Windows Vista (I used to be a PC technician and saw malware related problems all the time), and I have at least 7 systems running either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 so I can't say I agree with that as a valid fix unless you have some type of antiquated malware, but MS still has a "Fix It" utility for the newer OS' so it must still be needed if you're frequently installing Security suites with firewalls, VPN adapters, etc. If the Winsock fix doesn't work for you, I think you would do good to uninstall the NIC and delete the driver, and then reinstall it with the latest driver version.

If you've recently installed something new (such as a security suite with a firewall, or traffic scanning), this would have installed a driver into the networking stack that may be problematic. In this case, you would have to locate the vendor's cleanup tool to remove the software, and try installing it again.

Perhaps I haven't read the previous posts too deeply, but have you run any virus scans on the system at this point, or went down that path to rule malware out as a potential issue?

That's not to say that you didn't pick up something on the system the last time you used it that affected it upon reboot. Drive-by-downloads happen on legitimate websites all the time.

Have you checked the system event logs for errors / warnings which might be related to see if it can point you in a specific direction?

Has the system installed any updates lately which may have caused these issues?

Can you open the task manager, select the "Performance" tab and select "Resource Monitor?" Within the resource monitor, you should be able to check on the "Network" tab and see which processes have Network activity to see if any applications / processes are hogging bandwidth and are causing your issues.

14. sl561

sl561 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all your thoughtful responses. I'm slowly working my way through them. First to answer some questions. I have always run Norton Security Suite. I have run full system scans which came up with nothing. I also used to run Malwarebytes occasionally, but I am unable to run it now because it's out of date and updates fail because of the poor connectivity.

I have not installed anything new, although it think it's possible that a windows update may have run when I first turned the computer on a few days ago. .

I tried running a continuous ping and repeatedly got the "request timed out" response.

Similarly, when I look at the Task Manager, Networking display... .it shows that I'm connected and the speed varies between 65 and 130 Mbps. BUT...network utilization is between 0 and .5 percent. I noticed that if I disabled and then enabled the wireless Network...that utilization jumps to 100% for an instant, and then drops back down to almost nothing again.

Under Device Manager, Network adapters is listed: Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN, Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter,Microsoft Virtual WiFi Minport Adapter, Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

The Intel WiFi Link is "working properly". The driver Is Intel 12.2.0.30 dated 3/18/2010. That's a recent update (two days ago). If I click on Driver Details, a list of 4 different drivers comes up...one from Microsoft and 3 from Intel.

The Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter is "working properly. Microsoft Teredo "cannot start (code 10). and the Realtek PCIe is disabled.

I'm sure I haven't covered everything, but I'm still working on it. Thanks again.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall Norton and run Symantec's Norton Removal Tool. You can reinstall it, if desired, after testing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice