1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connectivity issues after resetting router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RyuTakezaki, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuTakezaki

RyuTakezaki Thread Starter

Well, this is the situation:

Router: Dlink DIR-825, about a year old now.
    IP provider: Comcast
    Computers:
    1 Laptop (Dell running Vista-32-bit)
    3 Desktops (1 is KIA as of right now, 1 is also running Vista, but 64-bit)
    There are a lot of specifics that I cannot recall at the time of this writing, so I will try to update as soon as possible.

Monday:
    Came back home and started to play Bad Company 2 when a friend of mine suggested to open some ports on my router to improve gameplay. I went to 192.168.0.1 in Google Chrome to open the ports, when I come to realize that I had forgotten the admin password(I know, will write it down and backed up next time). So I ran over downstairs to the router and held down the reset button until the lights on the front all went off and came back on(did not unplug any cables or anything). Ran back up and was able to log into the router with my laptop without any problems(still in "Local only"). Used the router's internet connection wizard in 192.168.0.1 in Chrome, but could not connect to the internet, which then I went to the wireless connection wizard, and still could not connect. After a little bit of searching and relocating the laptop downstairs, I put in the CD that came with the router and went through the wizard, but encountered the problem of having none of my computers connected to the internet, which then I lied to the program and continued anyways. After getting checked for a good network adapter, it went to where I had to remove power from the modem, plug the network cable from the existing computer to the blue LAN port 1 on the router, and then connect the power cable to the router.

This is where I get an issue, if I had not already had one. An error message occurs(something about ethernet, cannot recall at the moment, but will update with the exact error message soon), and it leaves me the choice to retry or cancel the setup.

I'm not sure if this is a problem, but when I originally set up the router a year ago, I had set it up on the desktop that is KIA at the moment, a then 4 year old Sony VAIO running XP. I can't really recall exactly how I set it up, but I do remember using the CD and the process that I described above.

I'm not sure what the modem is, but next to where the KIA Sony is placed is an "outlet" with two outlets, the bottom of which says "Cat 5" where there is the network cable that connects to the router, and used to connect to the Sony(before the router) There is a small box(see below @UPDATE1) in the storage area, where there are about 4 or 5 lights total, with the titles of "PC Link" and "Internet" and I think also "LAN" something, with a power cable, I think a coaxial cable, and another cable that I cannot remember right now. I tried unplugging the power and coaxial for 10 seconds and then plugged them back again. After that, I tried the CD wizard again, and ended up with the same error message.

Tuesday:
    Tried finding a solution online(particularly http://forums.techguy.org/networking/795935-i-reset-my-router-now.html), but again, I don't know exactly what our modem is. Tried unplugging the network cable from the router and the Sony and tried to connect the laptop directly with the cable to the Cat 5 outlet, but to only get "Local only" on the Network and Settings window, and tried different variations of the CD process(such as unplugging the router, then the box the next time, then both the next time) but still came to the same error message. Got really frustrated and quit before I could try the soluting provided by JohnWill

Wednesday:
    Writing this because I really don't know what I'm doing and afraid to dig a bigger hole. One can request for more information if one needs it.

Thanks in advance for your time, I know that it's quite a bit of information(some of which might be superfluous, sorry).

UPDATE1(5/05/10):
    http://www.simplehelp.net/images/cable_modems/rca_dcm425.gif
    Thats the box in the storage room.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Support site for that modem/router http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite...95806691854&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB/DLWrapper

User manual here ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dir_products/dir-825/dir-825_Manual_v2.0.pdf

comcast - What modem do you have?
    are the lights on the MODEM correct and connected to the internet
    Can you connect a PC directly to the modem and get access to the internet

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    {Ping Tests}

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice