1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Consistency Checking on C Drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by IceGlass, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IceGlass

IceGlass Thread Starter

Hey,

My laptop recently froze completely even the trusty alt control delete would not work so I had to turn it off using the power button which I know is very naughty! However, now my laptop keeps showing a message after i switch it on saying it has to check my c drive because of a consistency error and if i want to stop it press any key. Now at first i left it but nothing at all happened, the second time i pressed the space bar to cancel the programme but nothing happened again it seems to freeze on me whatever i do. I have left it 'checking' my c drive for about 2 hours now but it does not even have a percentage bar to tell me how far it is completed. (which I have read other people have seen) I know I have a large C drive due to the Sims 2 and other games but I don't know whether I should just leave my laptop to it or if there is something else I should try. Please help! university student in desperate need of her laptop!!! :(

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

Typically cutting the power doesn't cause a problem but in some cases the head can crash into the platter or the data that is currently being written fails to be wrote. If you run a chkdsk /r that should take care of the issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/820027