1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: constant buffering

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bj nick, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I sometimes have problems watching streaming video; I get constant buffering. What is the best remedy for this; maybe in terms of settings? I have Windows XP, 2G ram, GEforce video card with 1G ram.

thanks!

2. Broni

Broni

What type of internet connection? What browser?

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I'm using IE with a wireless internet connection, Cox Cable high-speed Internet

4. Broni

Broni

Did you try another browser, like Firefox to see, if same thing happens?
    Did you run any speed tests?
    Did you try to reinstall Flash?

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

How do I run a speed test, and which Flash are we talking about....? not sure...

6. Broni

Broni

7. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I went to speedtest. I don't know if there could be a more confusing experience for a "moderate" user. What do these numbers mean?! How can I "compare them to others" so I can get a sense of what FAST or SLOW is?! I have no idea if I did this right, but here's the forum link:

URL=http://www.speedtest.net][​IMG][/URL]

8. Broni

Broni

You did well.
    As for the cable connection, your speed is pretty low.

You didn't answer my two other questions.

9. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I went to take the flash test. I have no idea what to do here....all I can see is that it wants me to install Flash 7 AGAIN, which I did. Now I keep being asked to download their 'authoring' plugin, which I don't want.....what EXACTLY am I supposed to do here?!

10. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

the "other two": I installed Firefox but I don't really want it. I'll try some streaming however, and see what happens.

as far as flash, see my last post. I'm lost.

Re: my cable being "slow." How do I know? Where is the info that would tell me what an average, slow, fast rate is? Sorry, don't know...(Why don't they let you see how you rate at speedtest compared to other users? Did I miss something?)

11. Broni

Broni

As for Flash, at that page you need to see both images:

[​IMG]

Do you see them?

That's the main purpose, I wanted you to have Firefox. To compare.

As for internet speed. Normally, cable download speed should be around 4000 kb/s, yours is only around 1800 kb/s. You may want to try hard wire connection, instead of wireless to see, if speed, and stream video will be better.

12. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

yes, that's what I see exactly at the flash site.

I'm calling Cox Cable right now to see what they have to say about the download speed....I've always thought the speed was great, with the needs I've had: downloads, uploads, whatever....but streaming video I don't know much about. Maybe it's more demanding?

13. Broni

Broni

Does Firefox lag as well?
    Ask Cox what their advertised speed is.

14. Broni

Broni

I can see Cox advertised speed is up to 12 Mbps. You're getting 15% of that.

15. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Ok, here's the story: I have the "value package." That means it's supposed to be 1700/1800 kb/s. The "preferred" package is 5mb/s, and the "premier" is 12 mb/s.

I have never seen any need for anything more, since everything I've done has been lightning quick. But the cox tech guy said that he'd expect I'd have problems with that slow rate....that 5 mb/s would probably be fine...anyway, I'll see about upgrading that tomorrow. But the differential is an extra $30 a month for the 12 mb/s.....that's a hit...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!