1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Constant HD activity has made computer nearly unusable

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by adanedhel728, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 Thread Starter

I've always had a problem with Vista suddenly going haywire with hd activity, which can be quite frustrating if I'm capturing video from my tv tuner, but it's always only lasted a couple of minutes. From what I understand, it's from Vista's new defrag system, which defrags as you go along instead of waiting for it to get all fragmented before doing it (but correct me if I'm mistaken).

Suddenly as of two days ago, though, it's made the computer unusable when it's at its worst. My internal hd will go nuts, then suddenly my external will go nuts. Then it goes back to my internal, and back and forth; meanwhile I can't open any programs because the system resources are completely used up, and this lasts for hours. There are periods when the hd activity stops temporarily, but then it suddenly starts up again, with no open programs. When this happens, WMP takes two or three minutes just to open, and five to start playing something. Firefox just freezes up. I can't open up virtual machines because the system resources are being sucked up. One time I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, and it went blank for about five minutes before giving me an error message. It's not always that bad, but it's off-and-on becoming worse and worse.

I checked for spyware and viruses and found nothing. I'm extremely reluctant to think that it's a hacker, because it doesn't happen when I boot XP.

Whatever it is, the Task Manager isn't picking it up as CPU activity, because it says that 97% of CPU activity is "System Idle Process." I know that this isn't the same as HD activity, but I just thought it might correspond.

I have no idea what could have caused this, unless it's the fact that I started sharing drives over the network two days ago to move files between this computer and a new computer (and I'm having problems with that, too... but that's a whole 'nother story).

Does anybody know how I can fix this, or at least figure out what's causing it?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. replay

replay

3. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm bookmarking that and it really seems like it'll help.

4. replay

replay

first thing i did was follow "most" of that after installing vista ultimate

5. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

how is your hard drive doing after applying those fixes?
    howcome only you are experiencing this, if everybody else probably has not disabled those features as said in the guide?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice