1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: constant restarts after power bump, now dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kadnpgf, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kadnpgf

kadnpgf Thread Starter

a couple weeks ago i had a power bump and the computer was stuck in a constant restart. i thought it was the front cover on the case (AXT case about 5 years old). i got it to start after removing cover and all was well. a couple days ago it started again. now it wont even power up. it is in the shop and even has the tech confused. it started by re-booting anywhere it wanted to. it would go to windows sometimes, but most times it wouldn't get that far. before taking it to the shop only the HD light would blink. the cpu fan and the power supply fan would come on. now nothing. from memory this is what i had:

Win XP Pro
    Biostar P4M80-M4 Socket 478
    2.63 Ghz (can't remember brand)
    WD 80 g hard drive
    2 - 512MB DDR RAM PC3200 184-Pin DIMM
    ATi Radeon 9550 128MB DDR 8x AGP
    Mitsumi 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
    2 - CD Roms (can't remember brand)

everything except the case is less than one-year-old. HD checks out fine in another computer. tried removing video card and memory one at a time, but that didn't help. there are no swollen or leaking pots (?) on the motherboard. changed out all ribbon cables and switch harnesses. the computer ran great and was very fast. had no problems at all. only thing really running is AVG Security Suite. the computer does not go online except to one site and is unplugged from DSL after that. it is a game computer only. maybe i'm just getting old because it's driving me crazy. finally a computer i can't fix! any suggestions? i have always found answers here for any problem i have had in the past. hopefully, i will again.

2. gascan

gascan Banned

take the memory out,take unplug the HD cable, put them back again,turn on the computer, if not working, get a NEW POWER SUPPLY!!

3. kadnpgf

kadnpgf Thread Starter

that's the only thing i forgot to put on the list. new power supply, checks out fine also.

4. kadnpgf

kadnpgf Thread Starter

problem was motherboard. replaced by distributor.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/604798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice