1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Continually Losing Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fishoil, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fishoil

fishoil Thread Starter

Hi
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

Firstly, I am in the UK and use Virgin broadband (cable), with Belkin 4 port wireless g plus router
    Windows XPsp2. Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I keep losing my connection to the internet, at seemingly random intervals, though I notice it mostly when I am watching streaming video or downloading files. I also play games online, but have never had any trouble with my connection while doing this, even after several hours.
    My PC connection is wired, and a laptop uses the wireless connection. I'm not sure about any issues with the wireless connection.
    It has been happening for a few months now, first in my previous house, and now my current house. I fix it by disabling local area connection then re-enabling again, but this is less than ideal. I am unable to access my router when the problem occurs.

I have formatted and reinstalled windows during this period (in case there was bits of zonealarm still hanging around), I have forwarded ports for download programs, but the problem still remains.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated, as it is slowly driving me mad.

cheers,

fishoil.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, I'd connect directly to the modem with a wired connection and see if it still happens. If not, it's probably the router that's the issue. If it still happens, it's either the modem, ISP, or your computer. Also, try connecting the laptop using a wired connection and see if it experiences the same issues with the router. If so, that would seem to indicate it's not your computer.

Narrowing down the possibilities is what we need to do first.

3. fishoil

fishoil Thread Starter

connection dropped again when pc was connected directly to modem. connected laptop to modem and it seemed to be working fine.

4. JohnWill

Did you turn off the modem for 30 seconds or more when you changed the connected device? If not, that's a required step.

5. fishoil

fishoil Thread Starter

yep done that. I've done that plenty times before as well

6. JohnWill

Well, if you used the same cable as for the laptop connection, you're left with issues with the computer. The NIC could be dying, you've already reformatted, which would seem to remove any software causes.

7. fishoil

fishoil Thread Starter

Damn. Even though its fine playing online games?
    I'm hoping its some weird setting or something.

8. fishoil

fishoil Thread Starter

It's been a few days of making sure, but I think I solved the problem.

I updated the NIC drivers through the windows update and all seems well. Streaming video and other downloads are no longer causing the connection to drop.

It's always the last place you look, eh :)

Cheers for all the help.

fishoil.

9. JohnWill

WOW! Normally, updating hardware drivers from Windows Update is the kiss of death! You're very lucky! :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice