1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Continues Loop - After Windows Xp Logo....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flashsnaps, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flashsnaps

flashsnaps Thread Starter

Running Windows XP - Which continues to loop once it gets past the XP logo.

1) I've run chkdsk /r, doesn't complete 75%
    2) fixboot, fixmbr - both complete
    3) bootcfg /rebuild fails - errors
    4) copying the ntoskrnl.exe from the xp disk - gives me access denied
    5) Wont give me the option of repairing the installation
    6) Doesn't ask me for a password once in recovery console. Tried a few suggested commands, comes up with access denied

Wont let me boot into safe mode. Restarts after displaying the xp logo with a quick flash of the bsod.

Any one got any other suggestions of what I could try?

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Some big problems.

1. CHKDSK has to finish, or the disk is a door stopper. It can take several hours to run. Try running it for at least 8 hours (overnight) and see if it completes or not.

2. results?

3. errors?

4. access denied? Do you have an existing install or is this fresh?

5. Did you boot from the XP CD?

6. Recovery console will use your administrator password on your exisitng disk, perhaps the account is locked?!?

If you know what kind of disk it is I'd recommend putting it into a good working machine and run diagnostics on it. Something like UBCD may be a solution also. Run the manufacturers diagnostic tool (everyone has there own, don't use the wrong one) to check the disk to see if its in any shape worth keeping.

I would also suggest at that time to backup any data you may wish to preserve.

Let us know...

3. pmaz70

pmaz70

I have the same exact problem and am looking for a solution. I ran recovery console disk all day with no success. Let me know if you find a fix. Thanks.

4. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

To turn off 'automatic reboot on crash' so you can get the errors, or at least see them long enough to document them.

Right click on My Computer and select 'properties',
    Click the 'advanced tab' then under 'Startup and Recovery' click settings,

Under the 'System Failure' section:

- Check 'Write an event to the system log'; this will record the crash info in the 'system log' of 'Event Viewer'.

- Uncheck 'Automatically restart'.

Under the 'Write debugging information'

- Select "kernel memory dump" from the tab.

Then click ok on both 'Startup and Recovery'. and the 'System Properties' window. You will need to reboot afterwards.

5. pmaz70

pmaz70

can't get into windows to right click my computer

6. Savdog

Savdog

I am having the same problem after doing nothing out of the ordinary. I've tried swapping the mem, but it didn't work. I also installed an old HD with a stable XP on it and that booted up; however, when I put the boot loop HD as a slave to the stable HD, the stable HD still won't boot up. Any other suggestions?

7. dman4862

dman4862

boot up and hit f8 the same way to get to safe mode and choose disable automatic restart on failure and see what the bsod message gives you

8. Savdog

Savdog

I tried that and it gave me an "unable to mount" error. I forget the exact wording since I'm at work, but it had to do with the hard drive. I've since tried booting with the XP CD to the recovery console, but the console doesn't work since it won't recognize my hard drive. I hit F while the recovery console was loading, and mannually loaded the SATA drivers, but then the recovery console just hangs at the (again I forget the exact wording) "Analyzing hard drive...." So what it boils down to, is that I can't get anything to recognize the hard drive. A friend of mine said sometimes he can use a PC with Vista to access hard drives with Partition errors, but doing so will only save the data (hopefully!) and not the hard drive. I'll give that a try this weekend if nothing else works.

So anyone have ideas on how to get the recovery console to recognize the hard drive so I can attempt to repair the partition error (if that is indeed the problem)? Or how to get the unstable SATA hard drive to be recognized as a slave so that I can at least access the information? What I'm thinking is I may buy a new hard drive, reinstall XP, and then copy over all my info from the unstable HD, but again, I need to figure out how to access the data.

9. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Ok I'm dumping this thread, the OP is not replying, and it's been hijacked by a couple others.

Savdog, please post a fresh topic for YOUR problem, thanks a bunch.

10. flashsnaps

I solved my problem thanks for all your sugestions.

I ran a long test using seagate tools utility which is for maxtor/seagate drives which came up with errors, I repaired the errors and it seems to have solved the problem.

11. flashsnaps

Does your BIOS recognise your drive?

12. Savdog

Savdog

13. flashsnaps

cheers pal

14. Savdog

Savdog

Flashsnaps, how did you get the seagate/maxtor repair software to run? Was it on a boot floppy disk? Did you lose any data?

15. flashsnaps

No you wont lose any data. You should always back stuff up any way - you should know that ;)

Ok here you go - download V2.07 ENGLISH ISO CD-ROM IMAGE and then burn that to a disk.
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/seatooldreg

Then in the bios, change it so you boot from your cd-rom drive.

Once in the utility - run the LONG TEST

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice