1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Control Alt Delete Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BanditFlyer, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer Thread Starter

Not sure if ths belongs here or in the security thread??

I could swear I've seen similar problems on this forum, but I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

3Ghz Pentium 4 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro. Last night a user on this PC installed MS updates, by logging off via the "install updates and shut down" option. When she came in this morning, the PC didn't respond to control + alt + delete. She asked me for help in logging on. I clicked on the help link in the control alt delet prompt, and the password prompt came up!?

The MS update button(at the bottom right corner of the screen - not sure what this is called) on her login still had the exclamation point on it, so I clicked on it to install the updates again. It installed and prompted for a restart. So I clicked on the restart now option. Nothing happened. I went to Start->shutdown, and nothing happened. I hit control alt delete, and nothing happened.

Ran spyware checks via spybot and ad-aware and they only turned up cookies. I am in the process of running a virus check right now.

My userid on the same computer has no problems. When I hit control alt delete, I get the standard prompt.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A system restore might be the easiest way of sorting it out. Have you tried that?

However, try ensuring that "use welcome screen" is selected in User Accounts > Change the way Users log on and off.

3. valis

valis Moderator

4. BanditFlyer

Thanks guys. Trying system restore now. I'll post back in a few minutes. Does system restore bring all user accounts to an earlier setting? Any idea how it actually works/which registry keys it operates on?

5. BanditFlyer

I did a system restore. This put some of the files and programs in some folders that I didn't want to look for so I decided to undo the restore, and restore from a more recent date.

After the undo of the restore, the computer worked fine, so I didn't bother restoring from a more recent date. My guess as to what caused the problem is a buggy shutdown/msupdate combo.

I ran updates from the MS website this time and they worked fine. Rebooted the CPU twice just to be sure. It works fine.

Thanks for your help Rog' and Valis.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good to hear. I'm always pretty quick to use System Restore rather than spend hours, if I think it's going to take that. As long as I know they can be 'undone', it's a no-risk option. System Restore will not alter or remove anything stored in My Documents -- but other locations are affected.

In your case it does sound like the update failed to complete on a reboot for some reason.

Glad all is well, and you're welcome for the efforts.

7. BanditFlyer

I'll check the event viewer to see if I can find any reason for this. Not exactly sure where to start. I'll just look for stuff that looks out of the ordinary.

Thanks again,
    Bandit

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/415878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice