1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: control panel/display missing tabs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mom2inky, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

good morning all! in xp wanted to change color scheme of active bars, etc and weird thing..clicked control panel/display (category view) and the tabs are missing--appearance, etc.; in classic, click on change desktop pic and is ok just for that and same with change screensaver. did restore but can't figure what i "unset" to change the display properties box. thanks for the help!
    "Don't wait for an employer, friend, or mentor to show appreciation for your work. Take pride in your own efforts on a daily basis." D.Waitley:rolleyes:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Run regedit and navigate to the keys below. Look for policies which disable those settings, just right click on them and delete them:

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    System]
    System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    System]
    Name: NoDispSettingsPage
    Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    System]
    System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    System]
    Name: NoDispAppearancePage
    Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

3. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

well..looked at your information..under systems, to the right: Default..no value set; don't display last user name; legal notice cap/legal notice text; shutdown........since i have never really looked at the registry, sorry, maybe i am not seeing/finding what you indicated. help! thanks:confused:

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Before you do the following find out from device manager - display adaptor what the video driver name is and write it down for reference.

Try removing the video driver from System Properies under device manager and then reboot the computer and let Windows re-install the video driver.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Did you look at both the HKCU and HKLM (user and system) keys?

I'm not sure you are looking in the right place -- check again, following the paths carefully -- I don't think you should be seeing any "legal notice" policies there. Those would be in a different location, as indicated here:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/22/

6. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

thanks info re driver; uninstalled, rebooted and no change. hmmm:confused:

7. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

oh, now it's getting funnier! still missing the tabs on the display properties, but this morning the desktop wp/task bar were huge! restored pc to yesterday..now the task bar and all around toolbars icon/words are smaller (icons smaller than the normal "smaller" when i customize the taskbar . since display properities are goofy...need another cup of coffee..:confused: :rolleyes:

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Did you recheck the registry locations I posted? You were not in the right place previously from what you reported.

9. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

triple checked registry locations info; same as stated; from your site, under Winlogon..the legal text...is there too. i did not find anything else other than given..:confused: :confused: thanks for continued help!

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

11. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

thanks RR so much..here is the text. one note appeared: Hijack points
    [18:33:12] Skipping Zones for this user, since there are over 1000 domains in them. (1487 to be exact)

Attached Files:

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sigh, well, while you have a couple of unusual policy keys, they don't appear to be malicious or involve the disabling of display properties settings or appearance tabs:

- Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext\CLSID (1)
    {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} = 1

- Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\NonEnum (3)
    {BDEADF00-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F} = dword: 1
    {6DFD7C5C-2451-11d3-A299-00C04F8EF6AF} = dword: 1073741857
    {0DF44EAA-FF21-4412-828E-260A8728E7F1} = dword: 32

Neither the "ext" or "nonenum" key is standard as far as I know -- but the polcies there, judging from the CLSIDs only affect such things as web folders, folder options and the start menu and taskbar.

So some more questions are in order.

Do you know when you last accessed those tabs? And any idea what installs or changes took place since then? If it's not too long ago it might be worth trying a System Restore (these can be undone if not helpful)

If you restart in Safe Mode (use the f8 boot menu) and choose the built-in Administrator account -- not your normal user account -- then right click on the desktop and select "Properties" -- do those tabs appear on the display properties menu

13. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

hey thanks for info..well restored to 7/17; i know i changed wallpaper/screensaver that week and after. checked in safe mode RC/desktop and the display properties were normal/all tabs there..strange. so what can i check now...your help is greatly appreciated!:D

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well that rules out any issue with the display driver install itself and tends to narrow the problem to something configured in your normal user account.

So the System Restore did not affect this?

The screensaver/wallpaper changes that you made -- were these regular "Windows" choices or did you download some 3rd party application from the web?

What I'd do now is see if the problem exists in a new user account. Go to the Control Panel > User Accounts applet and create a new one for yourself -- give it administrative rights -- and then reboot an log into it.

You can delete this later if you want.

15. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

the wallpaper/screensavers i have had eons..from Caedes. the restore didn't change it back. how do i do a user account applet (what is that) and how do i give it admin rights. since i am the admin i never login it just opens for little ol' me. :confused: :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice