Solved: control panel/display missing tabs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Just open the Control Panel and select the User Accounts applet. Then select "create a new account" and follow the prompts from there.

You will have to then select that account on logon. If you don't give it a password, just clicking it will get you in. You can disable or delete it later.

edit by the way, are you sure your CURRENT account has administrative rights? If it doesn't, that might be why those options are not present.

Select your current account in the User Accounts applet and confirm that you are shown as "Administrator".

mom2inky

hi again..set up new user account..no change..can't figure why in safe mode the display properties are ok, but...again, help and thanks lots!

mom2inky

thanks again for info and for your patience..mine is gone (though never had any in the first place :D ) but, i must not be living right...the site..ran clean boot, but it said i would have to a manual clean boot, so, when i ckd the general tab and tried to uncheck the Process Sys.ini and Process Win.ini, Load start up..they would not uncheck; looked at startup and all were unchecked..did click services, hide all MS, disable all. since i am not sure what i am doing, sort of, (have copied instructions from the MS site) hate to bother but could you let me know about the above and help me with the rest? gobs of thanks!
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." Albert Einstein:confused: :confused: :eek:

I don't usually bother with the win.ini and system.ini tabs although I don't know why they wouldn't uncheck.

Here are the instructions I usually give for doing a "clean boot":

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

>> If the initial "clean boot" configuration does not produce positive results just return to checking "normal boot" in msconfig and re-enable the disabled services -- no point in proceeding further.

About the only thing I can conclude from seeing those tabs appear in the built-in Admistrative account in Safe Mode, but not otherwise -- is that it is some time of policy issue -- but I don't see any relevant policy restrictions in your startup list.

If you do make a change to display settings or appearances in the Administrator profile, do they carry over to your normal user profile?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!