1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Conversion TO a Midi file

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tjc15, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjc15

tjc15 Thread Starter

I have created some music files that need to be turned from .wma files to .mid files so I can edit them. Is there a program that does this or can I just change the file extension name? I found an expensive program but I know that usually there is something cheaper out there that does the same thing if you are looking for a specific thing.

Thanks,
    tjc15

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That can't really be done. Mid files contain no sound information like a music file does. It is not a media format. The best example I can give is that a music file is like a recording of a song, while a mid file is like the sheet music for that song. It has no sound information, only the method for producing the sound. You will only be able to edit them if you write them in that format originally.

I can tell you from experience that any program, expensive or not, can only with difficulty make such a conversion, and the results are terrible.

3. tjc15

tjc15 Thread Starter

I understand what you are saying but my Grandpa when he wrote these used a program that you place notes up on the staff and then it playes through so basically all we need is the sheet music. Would this information change your answer any since we don't need it to sound decent?
    We used Songworks 2 to create this if that helps.

Sorry for the trouble,
    tjc15

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It is fairly easy and straightforward for computer software and hardware to accurately generate complex audio waveforms from midi files or musical notation programs like Songworks. Converting in the other direction is a lot more complicated and error prone.

A human being listening to an audio file can usually tell that more than one instrument is playing and be able to pick out what any one instrument is playing. An experienced musician may be able to pick out and identify individual notes and chords being played by a given instrument and, given enough time, create the sheet music.

Software development has not yet caught up with such capabilities of the human mind.

5. tjc15

tjc15 Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses guys you really helped me out.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If SongWorks was used to create it, then another program like that can be used to edit it. Midi will cause a great deal of any song to be lost. I don't really think that is the direction you want to go. Do you still have SongWorks? Can you load the song into it?

7. tjc15

tjc15 Thread Starter

It cannot import midis and we no longer have those type files. Is there another way to edit wma's?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Most people use Audacity to edit them, but you can't edit them note-by-note with a program like that. You really need the full and often expensive software that shows you the staffs.

I'm a bit confused. What do you mean "import midis"? I thought you had songs in non-midi format that you originally wanted to convert to midis?

wma and midi are as different as the Sun and the Moon. They can't be interconverted for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that they don't even support the same sounds.

9. tjc15

tjc15 Thread Starter

What I mean is that the program creates midis and we converted them to WMA.
    Will that audacity edit wma's the way we want? Note by note.
    My guess from what you said is that the Songworks program is not the best one to use. Is there another one that you can recommend for a low price that we can still write note by note?

Sorry for the hassle,
    tjc15

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice