1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Convert text to currency

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Mermaid27, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mermaid27

Mermaid27 Thread Starter

I'm using access 2010. I have a field in a table called net_total_amt which is text format. I need to convert to currency I'm thinking? It comes is as $257.87 but I need to say if it's less than $3.00 remove it. I have searched and I just don't understand some of what I read. :confused:

2. GeorgeJ

GeorgeJ

I mostly use excel, so it may not be the same - what happens if the field is not empty and you multiply by 1? Can that be compared? I use that sometimes to convert from text to value in excel.

3. Mermaid27

Mermaid27 Thread Starter

Thanks GeorgeJ. I had someone give me the syntax to convert it, which was so nice. I've never tried that in excel. Will have to now :)

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

=value(cell) will convert text to a number
    also
    use an IF

=IF(Cell<3, "" , value(cell))
    so if less than 3 will just leave the cell blank
    NOTE less than so 3 will still work

otherwise use <= to include 4

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060571