Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Converting Dual Channel to Single Channel with RAM.

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  lightning89 
#1 ·
This is probly a very simple question, but i'm after converting my ACER Aspire 5600 laptop from using Dual Channel RAM to Single Channel. I've been told you can do this in the BIOS, but i'm not exacly sure how. I've had a breif look on google but can't seem to find anything of any help.

Thanks a lot,
- Lee

#2 ·
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Why disable dual-channel operation? It's automatic if you have two identical memory modules and will increase performance. If you really want single-channel operation, take one out. :)

#3 ·
I'm planning on installing a 2GB stick of RAM and a 1GB stick into my Laptop. I know it isn't usually advised to mix and match, but I was talking to a lady at Crucial tech support and said you may need to enable single channel rather than dual for it to work. It may configure it automatically, but I wanted to know just in case I was required to do it manually. =P

#4 ·
I think you'll find it does it for you. :)

FWIW, I'd put two one gig sticks in. There is VERY LITTLE you'll run that requires more than that, why give up performance for memory capacity that you'll probably never use?

#5 ·
JohnWill said:
I think you'll find it does it for you. :)

FWIW, I'd put two one gig sticks in. There is VERY LITTLE you'll run that requires more than that, why give up performance for memory capacity that you'll probably never use?
Point taken John, I decided to cancel the RAM and order two 1GB sticks. =P After looking up on the subject it seems like you're right and would be better off going for the performance. Thanks once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.