1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Converting excel functions from English to French

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kate0n, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kate0n

Kate0n Thread Starter

Hello,

I have tried seaching for this information, but I can't find it anywhere.
    What I would like to know is, do function words in Excel convert automatically if sent to someone with Excel in another language.
    For example:

I am user English version of Excel. In my spreadsheet I use "COUNT" funtion. If I then send this document to someone who has the French version of Excel does "COUNT" then become "COMPTE" (which is the French equivalent).

Thanks in advance

2. Sponsor

3. Kate0n

Kate0n Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this would make a difference, but the versions of Excel are both 2007.

4. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

The answer is yes. Functions, default date format, and separators of arguments all change according to language.

Jimmy

5. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

Hi Kate,
    Yes, if you mail an Excel sheet with the French names of the functions in the sheet itsself, they will automatically be translated when it's opend in another language like Dutch or German.

The only time you get into a serious problem is when you record a macro using a Function and then let somebody use this same macro in another language setting the Macro which in your case would be:

Active.cell.Formula="=COMPTE(A1:A4)"

will result as an error if the language is English since the correct synatx would be =COUNT(A1:A4)

The same the other way around.

Normal expressions in the sheet itsself no problem.

I have attached a file I found while searching for similar issues because we use Dutch versions

The sheet contains macros which you should allow, and if you double click on the first row on French then the english and the French column and all but the english and French column will be hidden so that you can see the equivalent English function for the French one and vice vversa.

Double click on Englsih and all columns will be visible again.

Attached Files:

6. Kate0n

Kate0n Thread Starter

Thankyou

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1019390