Solved: Converting Nero audio to MP3's.......?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

coffee_40

Hi there all,

can some-one please tell me how to convert my audios to mp3's?

Thanks in advance
Karen

I imagine Nero should be able to convert them into .mp3 files. I know Nero6 lets you rip CD's as .mp3 and also has audio conversion software. What is the Nero audio file extension?

coffee_40

Okay so now I'm really going to show my inexperience.....what is an audio file extension?

Hehe, that's alright. All files have a file extension. For example "readme.txt" "readme" is the file name and ".txt" is the file extension. A file extension is the type of file. So, with music .mp3 is a file extension or file type. Nero will have its own special file type as you have probably accidently/unknowlingly discovered. It appears Nero uses .NRA for its audio.

What version of Nero do you have? In Nero 6, it allows you to "Convert Audio CDs to Audio Files" which will do what you want.

coffee_40

Ohhhh, Okay....well technically I copied all my CD's using WMP so I guess that actually makes them WMA's....does that sound right. But I had to change them to open with nero media player thing-a-ma-bob so I could burn them to disc. I have only recently learn't about MP3's so now i would like to put them onto a cd as an MP3 from the PC with out having to recopy all my music disc's. Is this possible, can I change them to MP3's using WMP or is Nero 6 better?

I have a blonde patch.....sorry.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Another free alternative is CDEX, the program I use to rip CD's to MP3's. It uses the excellent LAME MP3 encoder as it's encoding engine, and also connected to FREEDB to automatically obtain the CD title information.

coffee_40

Thanks.....I downloaded the Cdex and it seems to be good if you are ripping music from a CD to convert to MP3 but I would like to convert the music I have already ripped to my PC. I really don't want to have to rip my cd's all over again if I can avoid it.

Is there anyway around this. I also tried one called switch and another one I can't remember the name of and they all convert if you are ripping from disc but not from my WMA library.

Right, now I better understand what you are trying to do.

You want to convert .wma to .mp3 so you can burn a MP3 CD with Nero.

If you already have Nero, it does allow you to convert audio files. Otherwise you will need to get some other sort of conversion software. CDEX does this, but it is a little tricky. dbmPowerAmp will do it, have a search for it and give it a go. I can't think of another good program right now though.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, we need to know what format the music is in to know how to generate the MP3's.

What is the reason you want mp3's on a CD as opposed to wma's? Nero will make a wma CD. There's nothing much to choose between the file formats and most players can play both types of files. Did you want to play the CD on something that only plays mp3's? Otherwise there's not much point in converting them.

coffee_40

Okay, I was told if I change my WMA's to MP3's I can burn more songs to a disc....or have I been told the wrong thing? Is there away of fitting more songs on a disc that I don't no about. I am very new to burning cd's. I have Nero 6 I beleive it will change my music to MP3's if I am ripping from my cd discs but I can't seem to change the music I already have stored on my PC.

I'm afraid my PC knowledge is very basic so forgive me for the blonde patches.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You were told wrong. When the music is burned at an audio disk, it'll take the same amount of space, no matter how it was encoded on your hard disk. As far as MP3's taking less space than WMA, that's not true either. In addition, you lose quality whenever you uncompress a lossy format and re-encode it, so unless there's a burning reason to do so, I'd leave them alone.

If you have windows XP then you'll probably have windows media player version 10. If you're used to ripping CD's with this programme and you want to rip to mp3 in the future, then WMP10 can also rip to mp3.

coffee_40

Moby.....I'm going to ask you a really dumb question now.....How do I change my WMA's to MP3's using WMP 10.

And thank you everyone for helping me I have learnt heaps and every piece of info is valuable to me. Thanks People.

You can't change existing wma's to mp3's with WMP10. You can rip future CD's to mp3 from now on. In Windows Media Player, click tools, options, and on the rip music tab you'll have 'rip settings' with a drop down arrow to choose mp3 instead of wma. Click apply, ok and you'll have mp3's from now on.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online