1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Converting rows to columns

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by coachdan32, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coachdan32

coachdan32 Thread Starter

I remember seeing somewhere that you can convert rows to columns in Excel, where the numbers would be across the top and the letters down the side. How is that accomplished? Also, if there is data in the spreadsheet at the time, will it be converted too or will it just change the tabs?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    No, you can only change the letters across the top to numbers. You're probably remembering Transpose, but it doesn't do what you're saying about the column and row numbers; it only does the data.

Select your data.
    Copy.
    Go to new sheet.
    Edit-Paste special, Transpose

3. smeegle

smeegle

I've heard that the the TRANSPOSE function could be used to do that, but I've never actually done it myself.

4. coachdan32

Dreamboat,

That is exactly what I want it to do, but I do not have that option in Excel 2000. When I go to Paste Special, I only get a dialog box wanting me to choose "unicode" or "text". Most of the time when I use Paste Special it gives a different dialog box where you can choose Values, Formats or Formulas, but that is not available on this paste. I assume there is something different about the data selected. It is data dumped from an Access DB. How can I get the other dialog box? I assume if I get it Transpose will be available.

5. coachdan32

Nevermind Dreamboat. I am able to do it within the same workbook and that will be fine for my needs.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    :) Sorry. I meant a new sheet 'cause I don't want to wreck your old one. You can paste it anywhere.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/337207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice