1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cookies question -where have they gone?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Bill_M, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bill_M

Bill_M Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP Home on my home pc, and every so often I'd have a clean out -I'd run Adaware and SpybotSD, and also go into the cookies folder and delete the ones I didn't want (rather than just delete all of them) -maybe this was a bit unconventional, but it worked for me !:)

Just before Christmas, though, I accepted an update from the wonderful Microsoft, and it upgraded I.E. from 6 to 7. I now find I cant see any cookies in my cookies folders -and also the files I used to be able to find in 'Temporary Internet Files' no longer show either!

Questions are:
    -is there a way I can find a list of the resident cookies on my machine?
    -is the .dat file in there of any use to me for the purpose of keeping things tidy -I can't get into it
    and
    -is there no longer access to the Temporary Internet Files?

-thanks for any suggestions!

Bill.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Maybe you'd want to take a look at this freeware system cleaner ...
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

You can set it up to keep the cookies you want to keep.

Don't know about IE 7 .. I had to rollack to IE6

Attached Files:

3. Bill_M

Bill_M Thread Starter

thanks Noyb -I seriously though about rolling back to IE6 -but my family liked the functions -so I was outvoted :(

I'll take a look at ccleaner though -see if it can take on IE7 and survive!

thanks again

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    As long as IE 7 doesn't mess up your computer ... then by all means .. don't get outvoted :D

Just a tip .. I run CCleaner several times a day (only takes a second or two) ..
    And always just before scanning for Spyware ... It's been about a year since I found any spyware left over.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

CCleaner will find and clean IE7 cookies.

6. Bill_M

Bill_M Thread Starter

Thanks very much guys,

CCleaner is doing a lovely job.(y)

-as you're both experienced hands here, do you thinkj I should start a new thread with the question about 'Temporary Internet Files' not showing? I realise now that I was maybe asking too many questions in one post -what would you recommend I do?

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello try this

go to the IE7 Tools menu -> Internet Options -> General Tab -> Browsing history -> Settings section -> [View Files...] button. You can see everything here, and can manipulate cookies as well.

8. hewee

hewee

If I reset the setting in ACDsee image viewer just right I can see lots of added files and folders that Windows, IE has that I can not see any other way.

9. Bill_M

Bill_M Thread Starter

Excellent!

Thank you all very much for this -all my questions are answered -I can do what I need:)

Blackmirror -it works! (maybe you're not surprised, but it's another new trick for me!)
    hewee -I don't have ACDsee on this machine -but again it's something to bear in mind for another time....

10. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

a complete surprise to me :D

11. hewee

hewee

Other image viewing programs may do the same thing. I just have to go into the options and uncheck the "hide non-images" and then put a check by "show hidden files".
    Does not mean I can open them but I can see that they are there. If I can not open them I can copy them to another folder on the desktop and then when you look in the folder you can see the files and open them.

12. bill53

bill53

Firefox 2 has a very easy to use cookie editor that you can set to accept or reject specific sites. It pulls up a list of all cookies extant. I have used it with IE7 installed. That is a round about way to get at it but it might work.

Bill

13. Bill_M

Bill_M Thread Starter

Thanks for those last two suggestions -I've plenty of options to try out now, so I'll have a tinker and see which is most comfortable :)

-You're a lovely bunch of people!

14. hewee

hewee

If you want to have more control of your cookies look here.
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/btw/ffox/ffox-opts.htm

You can keep any sites from even putting a cookie on your PC.
    I only have 14 sites that can even site a cookie on my PC.
    Out of those some I only allow then to set a session cookie or out of the list of cookies from the site some I allow and some I allow onlt a session and some I may even block.
    It takes a little time to setup because if you want to be able to get to a site and use it but want to try to block other types of cookies from the site or only have sesion cookies you have learn just what each cookie does.
    So in the Exceptions list I have 24 that I allow, 46 I allow for session and 20 that I block.
    This is all the cookiess and Exceptions I need to go every where I go.
    I use CookieCuller https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/82/ and http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/ also for added control over the cookies.
    I add the sites I want to protect to it and I have a icon on the tool bar to open it easy and then I can open it http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/screenshots.html and click on the remove all cookies and it will remove all unprotected cookies.
    What is nice is in other cookie programs that show your cookies and can delete ones that are not protected or in the keep list is they do not show session cookies or will they clear session cookies.
    So this program is great to have to see any clear your cookies. I do not like session cookies that track you around till you close Firefox down that clears the session cookies. Now I can go to a site and before I leave the site I can clear the cookies so they can no longer track me.

15. Bill_M

Bill_M Thread Starter

Thanks hewee,

It feels like it's time to move up a step! -Thank-you for the little push :)
    I've been aware of Firefox for a while -we even have it at work- but I've not taken the step of using it at home -but more and more it feels like I'm 'making-do' with I.Explorer....

So I've just downloaded Firefox2, and I'll have a play over the next few weeks and definitley check out the add-ons you've suggested. I don't get to spend as much time as I'd like at my pc at home, actually refining the way it works -time on it is usually spent finishing the job in hand and rushing off to another (and the same is true for three others in the family).. so things do get rather cluttered! But now it's REAL clean-up time!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions -moreso for the ones I recieved after I thought the query was solved! ....well, you know... the more I learn...... ! ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice