1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cookies won't store on my computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Happidaise, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Happidaise

Happidaise Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7, for some reason cookies are no longer stored. I can't think of anything I've done different that could have caused this. I am also unable to locate my cookies folder in Users/AppData/Roamng/Microsoft/Windows. There is no cookies folder listed. I have the folder options set to View Hidden folders. I tried to create a cookies folder in there, but it states that there is already one in use, but I cannot see it.

I would like my computer to store cookies from the regular sites I visit. How can I fix this problem?!

Thanks!

2. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

What protection software do you have running?

This includes any "Clean up my tracks" type of programs?

3. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

What , if any, "cleaners" are you using? If Ccleaner, go to options>cookies and select the ones you want to keep.

4. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

You type faster than I do there DaveA! :) You seem to have it well in hand, so I'll leave you to help this OP. Cheers!

5. Happidaise

Hi, I am not using any cleaners at all. I am running Bitdefender. I have it set to not stop any cookies and it states it has not prevented any cookies...

6. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

Is this a new problem? If so, have you tried a system restore to a point to before it happened?

7. Happidaise

Hi, yes it's a new problem but new from about 2wks ago. I have thought about doing a system restore, but am not sure if that will affect any work I have done on my computer since then, or computer scans etc. I seem to remember that it happened after I did a full system scan with Bitdefender and it deleted a load of issues. It was the first full system scan I'd done in over a year.

8. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

I've only used BitDefender for a very short while so can't advise on that. Just don't know enough about it. You could try a sfc/scannow to repair any damaged system files. Not sure thats your problem but it wouldn't hurt. A system restore shouldn't change much if anything, depending on what you've done to your machine. I'd give that a shot first myself. You have been backing up your important things , right? Your personal files should be safe with a system restore.... you might lose any newer programs, but those can be reinstalled.

9. Happidaise

No, I don't back up anything, I mainly just do my finances on there and sometimes upload photos from my camera. Not much else. I could save those files on my usb and then do a system restore. I'll try that.

Thanks for your help!

10. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

You're very welcome. I'll check back in a bit. Let us know if it helped, if not theres other things to try/do. But as mentioned.... like to start simple!

11. Happidaise

Hi again, there are no restore points on my system! So it won't system restore... I don't know how to do the sfc/scannow that you mention. Do you know why I can't see my cookies folder? Is there a way to access super hidden folders, if they exist?

12. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

No.... no such thing as "super hid" folders. No restore points sound very ominous... can you run any malware scans or your anti-virus? How long have you used BitDefender?

Sfc/scannow : Click Start button > accessories> Command prompt > type sfc/scannow > enter. Let it run.... could take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. Closer to the minutes though I'm sure.

This should be done as an administrator.

Do you have Malwarebytes installed on your machine? If not I very highly recommend it. If so, can you run THAT?

13. Happidaise

PS I did do the system scan on the computer and chose to repair all files that were damaged, but this didn't make any difference. I think that may be the sfc/scannow you are talking about.

14. Happidaise

I will install Malwarebytes as you suggest and try that.

Thanks again!

15. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

If you didn't use the cmd prompt to do that then it wasn't a sfc/scannow.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094116