Solved: copy from share to desktop success, but cant find files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tjamnz

hello

im on a domain

we have a network share which i'll call H:

anyways i have a small folder on this share called backups with a few small files in it.

I opened command prompt H:> and typed:

copy .\backups c:\Desktop

the command was a success and it listed all the files that were transferred.

anyways... i thought the folder and corresponding files would appear on my Desktop but no go...

then after running a dir /A command on C: i realized at the root of C: there is a file called Desktop and not a directory.

Its gets more interesting. I ran a "my computer" search and could not find the folder name "backups" anywhere on the entire pc, or the files that were in it.

I even checked my profile \tatem\documents and settings\desktop and still... no go.

"totally stumped"

any ideas...?

i just hope it didnt append that data to the file called Desktop on c: \ root, as im assuming its there for some sort of administrative reason, condisering it has no file extention.

thanks.

***update: ran this command instead H:> copy .\backups "c:\Documents and Settings\tatem\Desktop" and it worked ok...
i was just thinking it would have placed the folder on my desktop and not just the contents... still trying to figure out where the original transfer went though... (senario above)

TerryNet

Terry
Comment: it makes little sense to copy a folder to a file!

I just did a little test--copied a folder containing two files to a new file--and it did create a file composed of the two source files. I suppose maybe that could be useful if the source files were text.

So, to answer your question, the files went into that new c:\Desktop file you created.

tjamnz

ok.. so i created a file called test on the root of c:

then i transferred H:> .\backups c:\test

and then it asked to confirm each file or select all..

i selected all.

anyways... the only thing that happened was the test file on the root of c: increased in size to 2k...

so this transfer of 200k or so.. increased this test file size to 2k

well.. at least i know what happened now.... it does append that data to a file...

i thought thats what the > or the >> syntax was for. (which it is.. but..)

didnt know you could just overwrite anything with the copy command (without at least a warning in all cases ... hmmm)

tjamnz

i found out the folder isnt acutally copied... (just the contents were moved in all instances)

and yeah.. your right.. it doesnt make sense to do that...

however.. i was trying to figure out where the files went. I was under the assumption that copying a folders contents would not be able to append or write to a file.

either way... based on your comment about text.. you just gave me a bunch of interesting ideas id like to try out. thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
"I was under the assumption that copying a folders contents would not be able to append or write to a file."

Me too! I sure am glad I ran that little test before replying. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online