Solved: Copy in CMD while files are in use

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex @ Atelka

Hi guys,

I was wondering if the following command line was good in case I want to copy files from an hard drive on a pc to an external one all the while not knowing if the files are still in use or not.

Those files are usually .xls and .doc files.

Here's the code.

Code:
xcopy C:\Folder1\ D:\Folder1\ /C /D /E /Y
Any thoughts or advices?

Open files won't copy. Only the /c will continue copying after you get an error.

Otherwise your /d syntax is incorrect. You need to include the date but I don't see how date applies to your scenerio.

Alex @ Atelka

Otherwise your /d syntax is incorrect. You need to include the date but I don't see how date applies to your scenerio.

I want the Batch file to only copy file that were modified. The total size of documents is around 1,50 gb.

Otherwise your /d syntax is incorrect.
Actually, you don't need to specify a date:
Code:
/D:m-d-y     Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
             [B]If no date is given, copies only those files whose
             source time is newer than the destination time.[/B]
And if you want to copy files that are in use, which most free utilities will simply skip, you can use Hobocopy, which takes advantage of the Volume Shadow Copy Service to let you copy files that are locked or in use.

Jerry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online