Solved: Copy, instead of deleting, drowning in copies

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

4dsmom

While visiting my son, he downloaded the pictures from his digital camera, and somehow he ended up having shortcuts to over 100 pictures on the desktop. I tried to delete them and as fast as I deleted them they kept copying and making more. I finally got rid of them by using the "clean desktop feature", but then when I went to My picture folder I found the shortcuts there were multiplied like rabbits.I started deleting from there, delete 15 and it would automatically start copying back. I have some 78 copies of some shortcuts. How can I get rid of all of these ? And what is causing this "ghost copier" to keep doing its dirty work?:(

Possibly malware. Do you use any antivirus software?

Click here to download HJTInstall.exe

* Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
* Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
* By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
* Click on Install.
* It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
* Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
* Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
* Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
* Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
* DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

I've had this happen to me before but never found out why it happens. It happens when I select multiple files while depressing ctrl. I would get to a certain number of files and then all of a sudden it would copy all the files I had selected. Is this how it happened for you. I never thought it was malware or anything like that though, I just thought it was a quirky function of Windows for some reason or another. I sure hope someone can enlighten us on this so both of us can learn something here.

4dsmom

Thanks, he has Symantec virus software and it is up to date.
won't let me attach log file so here it is

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:40:54 PM, on 12/16/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WgaTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Picture Package\Picture Package Menu\SonyTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Picture Package\Picture Package Applications\Residence.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.0.301.7164\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTMSG] LTMSG.exe 7
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Picture Package Menu.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Picture Package VCD Maker.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1118891640848
O16 - DPF: {6F750200-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Ofoto Upload Manager Class) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_1/axofupld.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

--
End of file - 5051 bytes

What happened to you mr. breeeeeeze:) is that if you crtl drag files somewhere it copies it - so if you drag the files a bit by mistake while trying to ctrl select them, you get copies made.

It's not the same thing by far :)

4dsmom

Exactly what is happening. Hope we both find the answer because I have hundreds of files to delete.

4dsmom

I was not dragging mine. using control key and then right clicking and choosing delete. However they would just start copying while I was holding control key and clicking on files. sometimes it would do it after 10, and sometimes 30. And of course there were times it was tired copying and took a rest.

Alright, maybe you're doing the same thing - do a quick test for me. Select one file (no ctrl or anything) and press delete.

What happens?

What you're probably doing is draging the files a bit while you click on them holding ctrl. That's how you get copies - and that's why it happens "sometimes after 10, sometimes after 30":)

Is this what's happening?

Hmmm. Now that you mention it, maybe that is what was happening. Yes, I was doing the same thing that 4dsmom was doing, selecting multiple files while pressing ctrl and then right click/delete and it was never a set number of files. But, there were alot so I was working quickly and I can now see how a slight drag would copy all the selected files.

Of course, when someone says "copying instead of deleting" one would assume that after you confirm to delete a file - it doesn't get deleted and instead there is a copy there. Now that would be a change in the "shell" environment and possibly the work of a virus.

But this is just a normal windows function, 4dsmom - you just need to be a little more carefull and release the ctrl button when right clicking to delete.:)
Or better yet, just select things normally and use the delete key instead of right clicking the selection.

and make sure to release the click before moving the mouse to select the next file. I just tested the theory and I'm sure that's what happened now. I was just not aware of the ctrl and drag function to copy a file.

Of course, when someone says "copying instead of deleting" one would assume that after you confirm to delete a file - it doesn't get deleted and instead there is a copy there. Now that would be a change in the "shell" environment and possibly the work of a virus.

Yes I understand that, I just related to 4ds because of my past experience. Thanks for your input zabu, it helped resolve the issue and taught me something as well as 4ds I'm sure.

Yes, let's hope that's all there is to it - I'll wait for a reply for the original poster to see if this is solved. Thanks for giving the right idea mr.breeeeze, I would have never thought of something as simple as this - would have been banging my head against the wall for hours probably:D

4dsmom

Well "guys", my problem is solved, thanks to all of you. I finally deleted over 3000 shortcut copies. I took zabusant's advice and I held control key down while clicking on unwanted files. every 10, I released control key and went over to delete on the left side column. I fianlly got rid of them and I am so tired of of clicking and deleting, I think i will jibernate for a year. Never was in such a mess, but then I didn't make t, my adult son did.
Have a Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy 2008
Thanks again:)

Merry Christmas to you too:)

Just an FYI - you know you don't have to hold down Ctrl to select multiple files, ctrl is only for selecting specific files. If you wan't to select a large group, just select the first one in the group, scroll down to the last one, hold shift and click on the last one, then release shift.:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online