1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: copying a hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PHOTOLYNN, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PHOTOLYNN

PHOTOLYNN Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B970 @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 6068 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 595370 MB, Free - 531224 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

Can I make a reliable "ghost copy" of my hard drive that could be copied into a new hard drive. I have a separate external hard drive doing regular backups but the backup copies don't include programs or the operating system. Can you help with this? Thank you in advance.

2. mel8again

mel8again

3. PHOTOLYNN

PHOTOLYNN Thread Starter

Thank You for your prompt response. Just to clarify-will this work on WinXP? Is this a clone copy of the drive? What is the difference between Macrium and a clone copy. Thanks.

4. mel8again

mel8again

Macruim is used for cloning as well as backup. It will work on XP.

5. PHOTOLYNN

PHOTOLYNN Thread Starter

OK. I have downloaded the software and printed the tutorial. Probably give it a try this weekend. Thanks

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

I use Acronis True Image 11 to clone my HDDs. It works fine on a desktop, for me. Laptop drives can be iffy; some re-install partitions will be inaccessible. Check with www.acronis.com or your laptop or HDD manufacturer for possible loss of the re-install partition. Only rarely for me is the destination HDD unbootable. That can usually be fixed with W7's repair system.

I believe that data backup is our friend. :)

Also:
    by Mark1956 at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1089319-sys-file-getting-full.html

Looks promising.

RF123

7. mel8again

mel8again

Good luck! You should have positive results.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Which software did you download, Lynn?

I don't know about Macrium. ATI will clone W95 - Win8.

A clone is a duplicate. I use the analogy of a skiller forger; there is no perceivable difference between original & the copy. Or genetic cloning & Dolly the sheep. Except, Dolly developed / aged rapidly to the age of the donor cell.

RF123

9. PHOTOLYNN

PHOTOLYNN Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. I downloaded Macrium. I will try to work on this this weekend. I will copy your post and try it as well if macrium does not work for my immediate problem. I am interested in the idea of "clone copying".It seems much more efficient than many other solutions.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

ATI cloning works for me.

I think I had to contact www.acronis.com customer service to purchase the bootable form; downloaded as an .iso.

http://kb.acronis.com/content/34881

For my desktop computer, I have my HDD in a 5 1/4" bay, mounted in a Kingwin rack & tray. In another 5 1/4" bay I have a Kingwin rack. When I want to clone, I put another HDD into a Kingwin tray. With the computer off, I put the tray into the rack, boot to the ATI cd, clone.
    Length of time depends upon computer specs, to include HDD type. I use 80 GB HDDs [ platter type ] because the cut off for drive stability / failure seems to be 80 GB. It takes about 20 min for cloning an 80 GB platter HDD. I recently switched to Intel 5 series SSDs; cloning takes < 15 min.

I really really like SSDs; for speed & reliabilty [ no moving parts ].
    Downsides are cost / GB & capacity. I don't have a lot of .mp3 & .jpgs, so 80 GB is fine for me. With 120 GB SSDs, I hve room to spare.

ATI11 .iso for bootable CD is 140 MB.

Best of success.

I am very interested to learn about Macrium. I am very happy with ATI, but I like to expand my knowledge base. :)

RF123

11. PHOTOLYNN

PHOTOLYNN Thread Starter

Many thanks to all who contributed to this post. I ended up downloading both Macrium and Acronis for WD drives. Both allowed me to cloan the drive. Acronis was very fast. But neither could produce a functional "clone". Both gave me the same error message on the same "donor" HDD. It states, WIN will not boot because of the following ARC firmware boot config problem: Did not properly generate ARC name for HAL and system paths. This is a problem with the donor HDD. Not the problem with either Acronis or Macrium. So... I will have to experiment with a more modern HDD and OS But, I've learned soooo much! I love macrium as a very simple, uncomplicated back up program. I don't know who ends the thread but I consider this problem solved for this HDD.

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

P Lynn:
    W7 will not boot from a USB connected HDD.

Thanks for the notes about Macrium.

I think I read that WDC external drives include ATI, now that you mention it. I had forgotten.

See #12, by TerryNet at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1085722-dell-vostro-260s-wont-boot.html

RF123

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

For my desktop; computers, I use Kingwin brand racks & trays.

For your Toshiba, I think you are going to have to remove the HDD from the enclosure, or purchase a HDD, connect it to the laptop using something like http://www.arrowcomputers.com.au/products-page/usb-adapters/r-driver-iii-usb-to-idesata-adapter/ . After cloning has completed, with both HDDs attached to your Toshiba, boot to W7.
    Shut down. Remove the internal HDD. Replace it with the destination HDD. Boot & test.

Glad to have helped. I learned about Macrium.
    :)

(y)

RF123

14. mel8again

mel8again

I'm glad you gave Macruim a try. I have an older version and I just downloaded and tried the latest version. I made the Linux rescue disk when prompted, made the backup and then used the rescue disk to start the computer. All went just fine. Good luck getting the problem solved.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!