1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: copying from internal to external hard drive says not enough room when there is

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajrobson, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

I am trying to back up my hard drive to an external hard drive. I have a 4GB file on the internal hard drive which I am trying to move to the external hard drive. I have 227GB free on the external yet everytime i try to copy the file i get a message saying "cannot copy there is not enough free disk space delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again. " it also gives me the option to do disk clean up. By doing this is shows to checkboxes one for recycle bin one for catalog files for the content indexer both are okb in size.

Can anybody tell me why I cant copy the file over when I have more then enough room?

2. bigbear

bigbear

Has the external drive been formatted?

3. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

not since i first got it, which was about a month ago.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Has it ever worked ??
    Can you attach a screen shot of your Disc Management screen .. like so ... ??

Attached Files:

5. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

yes it has worked before, it even works now if i try to copy over a small file for example the picture attached i can copy it over its just when i try to copy a big file, but as you can see i have lots of room to move a 4gb file.

Attached Files:

6. stantley

stantley

You have it formatted as Fat32, which has a file limit of 4 GB. You need to reformat to NTFS if you want to use files that size.

You'll have to backup what you have on there before you reformat since that will wipe everything out.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most external drives come formatted as fat32. That is why you have a problem with the 4gig file. You can either convert the file system OR backup what is on the external to your internal and format as ntfs.

Note whenever you do a file conversion, make a complete backup of anything you do not want to loose.

8. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

how do i do a file conversion? will i lose everything that way too? as there is somestuff i will backup but other stuff im not to bothered if i lose or keep lol

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Yes ... You'll loose it all .. Back it up.

Right click in the USB External partition ... Delete it ...
    then create a new Partition .... and format it.

Attached Files:

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To convert the file system. Open a cmd prompt and type this in;
    convert X: /ntfs and hit enter
    Note X is the letter of the drive you want to convert.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will not loose everything on the drive doing this however do backup anything important. There is always a chance of something going wrong.

12. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

Thank you i did the conversion and didnt lose anything. Thanks to everyone for the help.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good to hear. I will mark this one as solved for you. For future reference, you can mark your own threads as solved using thread tools at the top of the page.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/602094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice