1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Copying from one external HD to another

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GingerL, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GingerL

GingerL Thread Starter

Hello! I am having a hardware problem. My computer got dangerously close to overload, so my computer-savy friend gave me an external drive to copy my files to. I copied all of my files to the external HD, and all is well with my computer. Well, the HD he loaned me was just that, a loan. I have since purchased my own external HD, but I can't copy from the loaner to my new drive. I can get my computer to recognize both drives individually, but when I try to plug both of them in at the same time, the computer doesn't recognize either of them. I tried chaging the drive names and letters, but that didn't help. Is there a secret to this? Please tell me that I don't have to copy everything back onto my computer and then back off to my new hard drive!

Thanks for any help!

2. junker39

junker39

Ginger, can you post some system specs? Make/model of PC and operating system.
    It will help correcting the problem.

3. GingerL

GingerL Thread Starter

I have a Gateway Solo 5300 laptop. The operating system is Windows 2000 professional. Also, the laptop has only one USB port, so I use a Belkin 4-port hub. If that's not enough info, let me know. Thanks!

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You MAY want to consider trying a self powered USB hub rather than a bus powered USB hub IF you are using a bus powered hub. Just an idea. :)

5. junker39

junker39

6. GingerL

GingerL Thread Starter

I'm beginning to think I should have just bought a new computer. :(

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There's your problem. Many devices don't work through a hub, and mass storage is one of the worst offenders.

Take the two drives to someone that has a machine with multiple USB ports and do the copies there.

8. GingerL

GingerL Thread Starter

Problem solved - thank you!! I took both drives to my parents' house this weekend, and got everything copied. Thanks so much for your help!

Ginger

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're welcome. :)

10. HandleX

HandleX

sounds great!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/452707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice