1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Core 2 Duo/Quad support from Mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mike360x1, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

Hello,
    Recently I've dig into my basement and found an old computer (about 2008). It has an LGA 775 and there's a Pentium D currently installed inside. Problem is, I want to upgrade, to a better CPU, and I fortunately have one.however, once I do, the Computer fails to start. Even the mobo Is failing to Post. After that, I took out the better CPU ( which was a core 2 quad by the way) and replaced it with the old one. Funny thing is, it runs normally again. I have no idea why. I have tried the Core 2 Quad on another different computer which I borrowed from a friend. It runs fine...

Heres the barebone specs of the old computer I'm trying to upgrade.

Pentium D 3.4Ghz
    [Updated] (Mobo make and model included in the picture attached)
    2 GB (DDR2) ram
    HDD 160GB (With Ubuntu)
    Aztec Earth Watts 500W powersupply

Greatly appreciated if someone can help me.

-mike360x1

Attached Files:

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The motherboard make and model should be silk screened on the motherboard itself.

3. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Need to know the make and model of motherboard and cpu. Not all socket 775 processors will work on socket 775 boards. Example the board may not push enough wattage, BIOS may not support it and needs to be updated or chipset limitations.

4. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

I have updated my system information. The make and model are all included.
    In the worse case scenario, that my motherboard cannot support a core 2 quad or core 2 duo, what can I do to fix it(if at all possible?)

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    This appears to be an Acer Computer, can you include the System Model Number?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It seems that the same board is used in a hp computer as well and it shows support for quad core yorkfield cores. You really need to check the acer site for support. Proprietary mb such as this have custom bios and just because the hp version has support does NOT mean the acer version has support.

FWIW no big box builder ie dell, hp, whatever has any vested interest in you upgrading one of their systems. They would rather you purchased a new system.

7. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

That's the sad reality of OEM computers.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

We probably have at least 3000 or more dells and they work ok for basic office stuff , printing flight releases, training, etc however they are NOT made for gaming or other high end things.

They are just not made for gaming, upgrading, etc.

It really is an exercise in futility in trying to upgrade a big box system.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1076519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice