Solved: Correct Implementation?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HandleX

So the printer issue is done.
I am to replace an old printer that we have up on the server. Share name is "compcen" and name is "computer center".

The new printer I recieved is going to be given the same exact information.
What is the best way of having the users still be able to print to the current printer, while i go around and add the new printer to each workstation?

If i change the info on the old printer, they will not be able to print and will have to await till i get to each workstation and add the new printer.

HandleX

UPDATE:

nevermind, i just changed the share name and name of the old computer to some random stuff. fixed the new settings on the new printer to match the old....however the IP addresses were different. Yet, all 18 workstations just accepted the change and printed to the new printer.

Why is this? I thought i would have to add the new printer due a new IP? Can someone elaborate on this?

Each time the client connects to the shared printer it will validate whether it has current drivers. If the drivers are not current, the client system will update the drivers so that they are the same on the server. This is really helpful for when an old or malfunctioning printer is replaced with a newer printer.

Hope this helped.

Also on a side note if all the PC's are printing to a share they don't care what the IP of the printer is.

Basically it goes like this -

PC - LAN - Server - Servers print que - IP setup of Printer to print que - LAN - Printers network card -printer

Since you only made the IP change it only effects -
Servers print que - IP setup of Printer to print que - LAN - Printers network card -printer

this part is not affected when you change an IP -
PC - LAN - Server - Servers print que

the break would be here if you had not set it up correctly and did not configure the new ip on the server -
Servers print que - IP setup of Printer to print que

HandleX

stumpy, thanks but im a little confused. i would like to be able to understand your diagram.

So basically....

Pc send print reuqest to server - server ques print job to printer, ques get sent to specified IP on the server in relation to printer, printer prints request.

And since I made the correct adjustment for the printer on the server, that has nothing to do with the PC printing. The PC basically just looks for the correct share name, sends the request to the server and the server takes care of the transfer?

I hope i understand this fully.

Exactly correct. Now if you weren't using a server with print ques and share names and you were doing direct TCP/IP printing to an IP address form the individual clients then you would have had a bigger mess on your hands.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online