1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Correct UDMA Settings?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sinsation, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sinsation

sinsation Thread Starter

I have 2 hard drives, the primary's a Maxtor 33073H3 30gb, and the secondary's a Western Digital WD1600JB 160gb. I was reading about UDMA settings on BF2 forums I frequent, which got me curious. Both of my drives as well as my motherboard support ATA/100, yet in the UDMA settings both drives are running at UDMA2/33 with the "let bios select transfer mode" selected. Is it safe to uncheck this and manually change the UDMA to the 100?

Motherboard: Gigabyte K8NS with the latest F18 bios.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Only trying it will determine if its safe, but yes it should be as both the drives and controller support 100MB/s transfer speeds(even 133MB/s on the motherboard). You should see a nice performance improvement too.

But your optical drives only do 33MB/s so UDMA2 for them is right, are you sure thats not you are looking at?

3. sinsation

sinsation Thread Starter

If by optical you mean my rom drives, then yes, I'm sure I wasn't looking at that as it's connected to a PCI SCSI card.

Attached Files:

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're probably not using the right IDE cable for the drives. You need an 80 wire IDE cable to get any speed above 33MB/s. The 40 wire cables should only be used for optical drives.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even modern DVD writers require 80 conductor cables for full speed, and they now ship with 80 conductor cables. In truth, there is no reason that I can determine to ever use 40 conductor cables, I don't use them for anything anymore.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I guess thats true, yet they still do ship with many new motherboards and optical drives. IBut I have encountered issues using 40 wire cables with LG DVD burners that are only rated for 33MB/s tranfers and shipped with 40 wire cables on several MSI motherboards.

7. sinsation

sinsation Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll double check my cables and see what I've got in this puppy.

8. sinsation

sinsation Thread Starter

Going through my stuff that came with my motherboard I stumbled upon the color coded cable that came with it, and yep sure enough that cable puts my drives to 100. Thanks guys. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice