1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: corrupt cabinet file in Office 2003

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by elay, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elay

elay Thread Starter

After running Office XP and Office 2003 I decided to delete Office XP, big mistake, but I the same time I had a virus although it was stopped a system restore set it free again.

Searching through Microsoft apparently I have missing MSI files. This is the file it keeps asking for PRO11. I give it the installation disk and point to the file but with no success.

I have found the file on my computer in a folder MSOCache/All users.

It wont let me uninstall or reinstall any version of Office. It keeps referring to the PRO11 file (a different one for 2002).

How can I tell my computer where it is. sorry does all that make sense. dry.gif biggrin.gif

2. Augie65

Augie65

Have you tried this?
    On the Help menu in any Office program, click Detect and Repair.

Or this:
    From the Add or Remove Programs, click Microsoft Office 2003, and then click Change.
    In the Microsoft Office 2003 Setup dialog box, click Reinstall or Repair, and then click Next.
    Click either Reinstall Office or Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation, and then click Install.

Note If you choose to detect and repair problems in your Microsoft Office installation, click to select the Restore my Start Menu Shortcuts check box to rebuild your Microsoft Office shortcuts, do the same from the Help menu.

3. elay

elay Thread Starter

thanks for your response.

I Cant do Detect and repair because it cant open.

Tried change in Add/Remove

both give the following message (screen shot) (which I think refers to the missing PRO11 file. :confused:

Attached Files:

4. Augie65

Augie65

You may need to download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. See this information from Microsoft Support.

5. elay

elay Thread Starter

Just had a look, this looks promising, thank you, i hope so, im losing the will to live. :D

i know this is a stupid question, but why is the clock showing hours before my time, what country are you in? its 9.13 pm here

6. Augie65

Augie65

I am in the Central Time Zone in the US.

7. elay

elay Thread Starter

Things have gone from bad to worse now. Updating SP2 last night the internet connection failed so I had to restart the computer, it gets to where the Black Window where it says WINDOWS XP, gives a message about Virtual memory and shuts down and restarts again. Booted it up fromthe XP disk did a repair but it has made no difference. :eek:

8. elay

elay Thread Starter

When you do a repair do you end up with two versions on your computer is that why it mentions virtual memory problem

9. elay

elay Thread Starter

im going to take it to a 'man' ive been quoted a minimum of £40 to wipe it clean, is that reasonable?

10. Augie65

Augie65

If you are not worried about saving any data on your computer, you could do a clean reinstall yourself. Here is a guide for a Clean Install of Windows XP. You said that you ran an repair install, did you follow these directions? Windows XP Repair Install. I hope this helps you.

11. elay

elay Thread Starter

Thanks Augie

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!