1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Corrupt Data file causing memory dumps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Larrydofmn, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Larrydofmn

Larrydofmn Thread Starter

Help! I have a file in Documents and settings\local settings\temp\temporary Internet files\content.ie5

Windows will not let me delete the folder and when I try to open the folder I get a memory dump.

Chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f have failed to remove the folder inside of content.ie5 that is in error.

Any suggestions?

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Go to Start > Run > Type "cmd" and hit enter.

When on this screen, type "cd %Userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\" and hit enter. Now type "del Content.IE5" and hit enter, it will ask you yes or no, type Y, hit enter - that should be that, if not, shout back.

3. Larrydofmn

Thanks for trying to help!

The keystrokes worked fine. The DEL produced the question asking for the Y or N to go ahead. I said Yes and got no response.

The directory and it's invalid contents are still there.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. Larrydofmn

Corrected the problem I did:

in windows Explorer I right ckicked on the offending folder and selected move.
    Then I right clicked on another folder (I created a temp folder for this) and clicked paste
    When that finished I right clicked on the offending folder and selected delete.

Lo and behold that worked. It is now gone!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice