Solved: Corrupt defrag.exe & systemx.dll files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Crowfoot

Hope you can help me out with this. My Operating System is Windows 98 SE.

I'm trying to install Media Player Classic to see if it will work better than Windows Media Player 6.4 and got an "error starting program":

The MPLAYER.EXE file is linked to missing export DDRAW.DLL:DirectDrawCreateEx.

I ran System File Checker and it advises both the defrag.exe and systemx.dll files are corrupt but I don't have an operating system CD for Windows 98 SE as my operating system was installed via Zip files.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Plus, do you have any thoughts on Media Player Classic?

Thanks,

Crowfoot.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
DDRAW.DLL is a file that's associated with Microsoft DirectX. If you don't have the most current version, which is 9.0c, download it from here.

You should really use the Windows ME version of DEFRAG.EXE because it runs much faster than the Windows 98SE version. You can download it from here. Go to the C:\WINDOWS folder and replace the 98SE version with the ME version. They look and run exactly the same.

Crowfoot

Hello flavallee,

Thanks for the reply!

I must have had a "brain-stall" as the corrupted .dll file "System File Checker" identifies is in fact setupx.dll and not the systemx.dll file mentioned earlier (which doesn't even exist on my system.) I don't know if I need this setupx.dll file for anything, but I checked at dll-files.com and they have a setupx.dll v4.10.1998 available but I need v4.10.2222 for my system.

After following your advice, Media Player Classic (MPC) installed OK and the defrag.exe seems to be working fine.

However, although I've unselected all formats in Windows Media Player 6.4 (WMP) and selected all formats in MPC, WMP is still the default player when I try to play streaming media beginning with "mms://" protocols. Is there a way to set MPC as the default player for all protocols???

As well, is there a way to set the buffering times for streaming media in MPC as this player does tend to rebuffer more frequently than what was occuring with WMP?

Also, when I click on a .mpg file link, I get a pop-up box that has to download the file completely before playing rather than opening up directly in the MPC player. If I copy and paste the link directly into the MPC player the .mpg file plays but also indicates that it is buffering which never happened before with WMP. Is this normal with MPC?

I don't know if you can help me with the media player questions as they aren't operating system problems, but if you can, I 'd very much appreciate your advice.

Thanks again for you kind assistance.

Crowfoot.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I don't use Windows Media Player for anything else except to play and listen to audio CD's while I'm surfing.

I also use version 9.0 and not the old 6.4 or 7.1 versions.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4.10.1998 is for Windows 98(original version) and 4.10.2222 is for Windows 98SE, so be careful about which files you download and use.

Be careful with using System File Checker because it can get you in trouble.

Crowfoot

Do you know where I can get a setupx.dll v4.10.2222 file??? Dll-files.com doesn't appear to have this version.

And, is there someone else at Techguys.org forums that might be able to assist me further on the media player questions?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I can send you a copy, but it's 728 KB in size and too large to send through here. Write me a private message and give me an E-mail address to send it to. Don't post the E-mail address here because too many people will have access to it and you're liable to get spammed.

If you have a Windows 98SE CD, you can extract a copy of it yourself from the PRECOPY2.CAB folder.

Crowfoot

Hello flavallee,

I did the install of the setupx.dll, ran SFC again, and the integrity of my system files appear to be all in order.

I'll take up the media player issues with the Multimedia forum as suggested.

Thanks once again for your time and assistance in restoring the integrity of my system files, and please close this thread as the problems are solved!

Best wishes,

Crowfoot.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome for the help. :)

At the top of your post, click "Thread Tools". You can then mark your post as solved. ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online