1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Corrupt Recovry Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bumpster, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bumpster

Bumpster Thread Starter

So I went to do a factory reset on my Laptop because some files were missing that I need in the registry and was told to do a factory reset to guarantee recovery of all files but during the factory reset my laptop had shut down and had corrupted my recovery drive. Is there any way of fixing or recovering the recovery drive with out buying the Driver disc from the manufacture?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How please do you KNOW

that files are missing in the registry -

As unless you have been `messing about` with the registry - you would not unless you are extremely experienced - have a clue what was missing.

As I have just completed this topic with you
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1142662-wireless-adaptor-problems.html
    - and you posted here on a new topic while we were working on the wireless adapter problem IF it is the same computer I am confused.

3. Bumpster

Bumpster Thread Starter

The reason I posted this while working on the other topic was because I thought well hey while im at it for fixing this first problem lets try to knock out two birds with one stone and see if someone can help me fix my recovery drive so I can start making retore points in my recovery drive if I ever need to use them if something were to happen. As for how I know that things were missing in the registry at the time when I booted up my computer I got an error message in the middle of boot up on the what im assuming is the Boot Up menu it said something about some registry file were missing. The recovery drive being corrupt has been an issue for quite some time, before I even knew this forum page even existed, and ive been trying to see my options on fixing it before I went and spent almost $40 on a disc to reinstall the drive. Is there any way to fix it with out the disc or do I need the disc and completely re-install the drive?

4. Macboatmaster

I am about to press the big switch as I am in the UK
    I will be back about 1800 UK time

It is very difficult to know the source of the message or indeed what it said
    When I return if no one else has posted I will pick up the topic

In the meantime and I am NOT saying you have - but just in case
    NEVER use registry cleaners, boosters, make it go faster programs, optimizers and that includes the
    AVG tool on that computer

Sooner or later they will result in only ONE outcome - you will ruin the system.

5. Macboatmaster

6. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
    If you are referring to the Recovery Partition then you need to know that Restore Points are Not saved to the Recovery Partition. They are saved to "System Volume Information". How exactly do you know the Recovery Partition is corrupt?

7. Bumpster

Bumpster Thread Starter

I took it up to best buy and had them look at it and when I picked it up they said it was corrupted

8. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
    Sorry but I have to agree with Macboatmaster, The Geek Squad has a poor track record. Get a second opinion. To start a Recovery partition is a highly compressed and Protected drive.

9. Bumpster

Bumpster Thread Starter

Well you tell me. When I try to factory reset I get a message saying something is missing factory reset could not be completed.

10. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
    Then you have no choice but to buy the recovery disk from HP unless you made one when the computer was new.

11. Bumpster

Bumpster Thread Starter

Damn. Ok um can u also check out my other post its marked solved but the issue is happening again

12. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
    You were in very good hands there, mark the thread as unsolved and ask for additional help. Quite frankly though I think you need to spend the $33.00 and get the disk then reset the system to new.

13. Macboatmaster

14. Bumpster

Bumpster Thread Starter

I would but I can't even get online to get to the forum to do that. The previous issue from before is happening again.

15. Macboatmaster

You do not need to be online
    you download that to a flash pen on another computer - the one you are posting on and run it on the computer in question.

AND please answer the question re AVG

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice